Recent content by Ouraing

1. O

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

DIY mini-USB adapter: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/diy-mini-usb-serial-dongle.24245/
  2. O

For the 6650 and 7xxx line you need that cable PLUS the RJ45-mini-USB dongle. There is no RJ45 serial port on those models.
  3. O

I just posted a thread on how to make your own dongle for about $5 in parts. You will still need a Cisco serial RJ45 cable. https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/diy-mini-usb-serial-dongle.24245/
  4. O

DIY Mini-USB Serial Dongle

I recently acquired a Brocade 7250 switch and needed a serial cable for it, but didn't feel like spending $35 or more on a the cable kits I could find on eBay when I knew i could make my own for about $5. Also, all of the kits I found actually required you to go mini-USB to male RJ45 to DB9...
  5. O

Can this be used standalone? "Cisco Nexus 2000 Fabric Extender"

These are basically remote line cards with no brains of their own
  6. O

What brand of switches for small business use?

You can get an Aruba S3500 I often see them for under $60, try to stay away from the ones with the 1050 watt power supplies because they are pretty damn loud, but the other power supply options are more or less the same as the ICX6610. 48 Gig ports, 4 SFP+ ports (make sure to get one that has...
  7. O

That's the cable I use with my 6450 and Aruba S2500/3500s, but this is a USB to RJ45 cable, how would that work with the ICX7750 mini-usb serial port? The RMK for the 7750 looks like it comes with a mini-usb to RJ45 cable which then plugs into a RJ45 to DB9 connector, why wouldn't they spend...
  8. O

Brocade ICX 7750 Specifications Connector options •1003/1000 Mbps, 10 Gbps 10GBASE-T ports: RJ-45 • 1/10 Gbps SFP+ ports • 40 Gbps QSFP+ ports • Out-of-band Ethernet management: 10/100/1000 Mbps RJ-45 • Console management: mini-USB serial port (Mini-B plug) • File transfer: USB port, (standard-A...
  9. O

On the 6450 I had with a bad daughterboard you could configure a port to be enabled and it wouldn't work, or you could disable one of the ports that did work but it would still be enabled and power up a device. It seemed to be frozen at whatever previously working configuration it had, I...
  10. O

Cloud Native DevOps With Kubernetes - free book

I do too, which is why I feed them bogus information: Get a whole new identity at the Fake Name Generator Even creates a temporary read-only address for receiving the actual download link or verification email...
  11. O

So the thought of paying $55 for a RMK + $10 more in shipping on eBay didn't sit well with me and today I made these (not 100% finished here). I made it from 1/8" steel flat stock, which was way more material than I actually needed for just 1 switch. Material: 1/8" x 2" x 4' flat steel...
  12. O

HP / HPE Moonshot Unofficial Reference Guide

While this is true I know that what we are doing is using white box x86 standard rack mount gear running Kubernetes & OpenStack for all the containers - we are actively avoiding these types of vendor specific solutions at the edge.
  13. O

My current network design is using vlans to segregate different types of devices, having my 6450 handle all the internal routing duties (with trunks to other switches which only act as layer 2 w/ vlan devices). The 6450 will forward everything to the firewall (probably pfSense, maybe Sophos UTM...
  14. O

Aruba MAS series SFP+ & POE+ switches sub-$100

Right now I've only got the single box with a 10G port, but I have some ConnectX-3s arriving next week for other boxes and will post what I see after getting that all set up.
  15. O

Aruba MAS series SFP+ & POE+ switches sub-$100

I have tested the Ubiquity UF-RJ45-10G ($65 from UBNT store) module and it appears to work with my S2500 and S3500 switches, it's even recognized as a supported module under 7.1.3.2: GE0/1/0 ------- Vendor Name : UBNT Vendor Serial Number : X180A4200063 Vendor Part Number...