Recent content by nry

1. N

My Home Server Farm

This is mind blowing! As a software developer myself who gets by with 2 dual Dell R720 servers, I'd love to know more about what you do which requires so much compute!
  2. N

2018 - Upgrading the toys

I bought mine off eBay. To be honest I had similar issues with drastically increased boot times, in the end I sold the board and bought a dual socket Supermicro board which now boots in under 60 seconds.
  3. N

Storage - Performance Had a play with my 32GB Intel Optane drive and it seemed to perform quite well under very specific workloads. Then combining a ebay 15% off everything voucher with a pretty cheap new Intel Optane 900p 280GB I now have a very nice caching drive. But nothing is easy...
  4. N

Virtualisation of my media PCs using ESXi

All worked out the box for me
  5. N

Virtualisation of my media PCs using ESXi

You can download the image directly from VMWare!
  6. N

Storage Upgrade - Benchmark ZFS Following on from my previous post, I have come to the conclusion that ZFS on Linux simply couldn't sustain the numbers I was expecting. Things I tried ashift 9 and 12 Running it on my other server as a VM Different HBAs Striping the drives, still poor numbers...
  7. N

Storage Upgrade - Benchmark ZFS I'll be using RaidZ2 as I have been more than impressed with the performance of my existing array. My plan has been to benchmark in the following order: Sequential Read Sequential Write Random Read Random Write First with no cache drives, then to add various...
  8. N

More than happy with cli, it's just configuring the scheduled tasks for ZFS which I haven't done before. Bit of research and I'm sure I could figure it out. 500GB - 1TB MySQL databases (used for testing/debugging) Elasticsearch data store Backups Media storage docker cache And some other...
  9. N

I meant use it as a replacement for ESXi due to ZFS support
  10. N

Will be running RAID Z2 on FreeNAS, although I'm tempted to give Proxmox a go over ESXi. One of the Optane drives will be used to test ZIL performance, not got high expectations for it. Was cheap, figured why not see what it's like.
  11. N

Storage Upgrade After a few disasters with deliveries from eBuyer package 1 - e package 2 - e package 3 arrived today and the drives finally had adequate packaging! Imgur 8x Seagate IronWolf 12TB drives 2x Optane 32GB drives Currently doing my usual 'burn in' test on the new drives...
  12. N

Nice, my remote backup server runs X9SCM-F with E3-1220v2 and 2 sticks of RAM, could never get that below 40w idle! Maybe the power supply is incredibly inefficient at low powers? Either way this was a business expense :rolleyes:
  13. N

Dedicated pfSense box Intel X520-DA2 installed, this caused the fans to spin back up to 33% minimum. Lots of reading later I found a discussion regarding changing the minimum setting via IPMI when unsupported cards have been installed. Had a little play and you can get this all the way down...
  14. N

Dedicated pfSense box Must admit I like this Dell box, iDRAC 8 is a step up from my usual Supermicro boards. Want to update the BIOS? No problem! Network cable in, press a few keys and away it goes. Anyway after updating the BIOS to the latest v2.4.3 and the fans are spinning at their minimum...
  15. N

Agreed! Will be running a few service such as squid, snort, VPN (up to 4 clients), pfBlockerNG, some inter VLAN routing and traffic monitoring (undecided on which package will be used for this) but still probably a little overpowered. Works out at £415 excluding VAT, admittedly I could have...