Recent content by NoncarbonatedClack

1. N

ESXi seemingly isn't seeing trunked frames from a switch

I was able to get this to work. I guess for some reason, the config wasn't taking place until I was rebooting the switch? I think I'm going to factory reset and check for firmware updates, that might be the resolution. But this is good to go now
  2. N

Ok, I trunked the correct port this time, and still no dice. Same situation though. It seems like the traffic is stopping between ESXi and the core switch.
  3. N

You know... I hate that this is right. Apparently I broke my rule of how I use switchports, and forgot about it, but had port descriptions in anyway. Let me configure THE CORRECT PORT and see if this works. I feel like a dingus now.
  4. N

Yes. VLANs work fine as long as communication is on the ESXi box itself. Once we need to exit the ESXi box and talk to something on the core or office switch, that’s the failure point.
  5. N

I’ve got some port groups configured for some VLANs (1000, 53, 20) and the OPNsense VM is on a port group configured as id 4095. these can all talk to each other locally on ESXi
  6. N

Hi all, I've got a weird situation where ESXi 8 seems to not be getting trunked frames from my core switch, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction or point out what I'm missing. I've done this before but.. something weird happening here I think. TP-Link seems to have changed...
  7. N

New firewall - mini pc

mDNS support would be interesting. If you find something, post it! I haven't seen that but I've mostly looked at older gear (Cisco 3560g, etc) As far as doing L3 on a switch and getting it to play nice with *sense, you're looking at something called a transit network between your switch and...
  8. N

New firewall - mini pc

I'm still here, I'll get responses out when i can
  9. N

New firewall - mini pc

This is 100% home use, but, business/enterprise definitely has the justification. do you have data for any of your points on performance? I'm genuinely curious, I'm open to being proven incorrect on some of my counterpoints I made to you. If I'm wrong, I'd rather know about it, you know? Also...
  10. N

New firewall - mini pc

Firstly, that's a pretty slick build you linked at the bottom of your post. Do you have a build threat type of post on that, beyond what you linked, that goes over the whole setup? Also, what's that little breakout-like board just above the PSU? "I keep shaking my head at these kinds of...
  11. N

Topton 12th Gen Alder Lake 2.5G Soft Router Intel i7-1265U/ i5-1235U/i3-1215U

What's in that 9020 for a CPU? IDS/IPS is really heavy on CPU, so i'd think it more possible that the N6005 (pentium silver) wasn't up to the task. I also wouldn't run an i7 passively. At a bare minimum, repaste the cpu and see if that helps, if it is indeed temps.
  12. N

Build/MiniPC/Server for pfsense build capable of SFP+ 2.5Gbps for google fiber

I should clarify (and will edit my post accordingly) that I meant to use netgate's hardware offerings as an idea of where to start with a custom build, given netgate has (hopefully lol) done the research already. Definitely didn't mean "go buy netgate!". Even though I'm considering purchasing...
  13. N

Build/MiniPC/Server for pfsense build capable of SFP+ 2.5Gbps for google fiber

It partially depends on what features you're going to use of pf, and what are your other wants/needs? IPMI? IDS and IPS will add a larger CPU requirement. What features are you currently using on the topton box? You could look at the netgate hardware for a starting point of what to buy, and go...
  14. N

New firewall - mini pc

I've now realized that with the price I just paid for all the pieces, I could go for a opnsense dec750. ugh.
  15. N

New firewall - mini pc

Well, I wanted to buy new for once. silly reason but there's that. I'll also be using this for other things in the future. Cost, including byo SSD/RAM, was less (again, new) with a newer cpu that uses less power. Which equals less heat in the enclosure. Sizing was also important. The tiny's are...