Recent content by Nicolai

1. N

2.5" HDD or SSD

I was going to use unraid. How come they don't work well in an array?
  2. N

How do I network?

My business setup is dirt simple: I have my PC, now I'm adding an unraid server, that's really it. I'm only making shares that's private and my business won't even show up on the network. I think I'll keep it all on 1 subnet for now, I'm still learning about servers, learning about networking...
  3. N

How do I network?

I don't mind a "wall", it usually means a well documented answer with explanations I can understand. It is. I'm not making a server and networking out of necessity, I'm making it out of interest. I'm also aware it won't be able to compete with a professional solution, but I'm okay with that...
  4. N

2.5" HDD or SSD

Thank you both for your input! It's much appreciated. I wasn't sure if cost was the only benefit conventional HDDs have over SSDs, so I wanted to post the question here.
  5. N

2.5" HDD or SSD

The use case is just a regular storage server for me and my 1 man business and a bit of plex. I don't need SAS, as the hot swap bays I'm getting are equipped with 4 SATA3 connections each. The price differences are just shy of double up from HDD to SSD. I'm considering using SSDs because of the...
  6. N

How do I network?

Generic is very good in my specific case, as my starting point is a 100 mb ISP provided router with 4 ports and some crappy wifi. As for the OS, I'm making an UNRAID server, which is literally just going to be a fileserver for now, down the line I might put a Xeon processor in it and run a...
  7. N

2.5" HDD or SSD

Hello all you wonderful people I've ordered most of the parts for my new storage server for my job, but I still haven't ordered the actual storage devices themselves yet, due to I can't make up my mind. If it's not too much to ask, I'd like to hear what you guys think and why. I'm trying to...
  8. N

How do I network?

Hello all of you fantastic people here. With all your feedback, I've bought some parts that's now in the mail for a storage server, for my business. Now it's time for some networking, and I hope you can help me once again. Currently I just have the default router my ISP have provided, but I'd...
  9. N

New idea for motherboard

Hello all you fantastic people on here With your knowledge and advice, I've managed to decide on some hardware that should suit my needs quite well, and thank you very much for that! I've decided on an Intel Celeron G4900 APU, because of it's up to date Quick Sync codec, ECC memory support, low...
  10. N

PCIe lane confusion

I have no experience using x265, but I used x264 before starting encoding on an Nvidia GPU and lately also the Quick Sync for when I'm doing a 4K timelapse video. x264 works really well, but with the right parameters, hardware encoding yields a rather good result too. At least in my experience...
  11. N

PCIe lane confusion

I do use lossless compression, and I use it as intermediary, because the .CR2 files can't be read by Quick Sync and they hold all kinds of information that's just going to slow down the encoding, without contributing to quality (possively or negatively). Timelapse movies tend to have a different...
  12. N

Am I doing this right?

There will be no panels in front or behind the cases, I'm going to get the glass panel in front cut to fit below the 2 cases and I'm going to cut away the rear of the cabinet where the servers will be housed, then I'm going to add a 5 cm space between 2 panels, with an opening only in the back...
  13. N

Am I doing this right?

If the 2 rackmounts is to be mounted in my living room, they're going to replace a couple of drawers in my TV furniture, where they're going to fit exactly like it was a rackmount, I've done the measurering and with rails theres a 1mm clearance. If I'm mounting them in my office, they're going...
  14. N

Am I doing this right?

It's quite simple, because I've never heard of it :p Jokes aside, I am going to look into it, but I want the setup to look professional, as it's either going to reside in my office or in my living room. Aesthetics matters a great deal here, because I don't have any room I can convert into a...
  15. N

PCIe lane confusion

While that's true for movies, the story is a little different for hardware accelerated transcoding of 4K timelapse movies, from .CR2 files. It provides a rather good quality of encoding the .CR2 to .JPEG and then onto .mov. I'm having a hard time seeing the difference between software and...