Recent content by nickscott18

1. nickscott18

New Product: Mikrotik Routerboard CSS326-24G-2S+RM

Mine turned up today, just a couple of notes on SFP compatibility, as that's a common request. CCS -> Other end Cisco SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR SFP+ Transceiver | FS.COM (10G Multimode) -> Mellanox connectx 2 with Cisco SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR SFP+ Transceiver | FS.COM - works. Cisco Linksys MGBBX1...
  2. nickscott18

Home firewall poll

Was Vyos, am now using Mikrotik - neither of which are on the list.
  3. nickscott18

Correct fiber for J4858C 1000BASE-SX SFP

There are no reasons (that I'm aware of) to not go with OM3. While you're pulling the Cat5E, pulling fiber at the same time isn't much more effort, and gives you room to move to 10G in the future. One tip though - leave a draw wire / string in the conduit for the future - saves a lot of hassle.
  4. nickscott18

Announcing DemoEval – The better way to try enterprise hardware

Although its not something I'll be using in the near future , it'll definitely be one I'll be keeping an eye on. One idea however (and I'm not sure how viable an idea this is - but is still worth throwing out there) is an up-voting system for certain bits of hardware that you are considering...
  5. nickscott18

Recommended SOHO all-in-one

Have you considered something along the lines of a Mikrotik Hap AC access point / router
  6. nickscott18

Taking a pulse: One huge page or multiple pages?

#3 for me. Your comment about people reading the first and last few pages - yep, I'm one of those who reads long, multipage articles like that. Normally read the intro, teardown / unboxing / description pages, power consumption, and then conclusion pages.
  7. nickscott18

(AUS) IBM System x m4 3650 .. Takes 2670's

New Zealand is still classified as overseas isn't it :)
  8. nickscott18

Startech 12U 19-Inch Desktop Open Frame 2 Post Rack (RK12OD) Review

For those who are keeping an eye out for one of these secondhand, or looking for something similar elsewhere in the world, they are often used in small recording studios - so if your looking to buy one, give the recording section of ebay a look as well. Likewise, for looking to buy one of these...
  9. nickscott18

4-node Open Compute Cluster Build

I suppose the only thing that might be affected by running it on it's side is how the cooling would work. But I'm inclined to think because it's got ducts, and plenty of airflow running through it, that might not be an issue. Also - picture 3 - would it seem like the main 4 fans could be...
  10. nickscott18

4-node Open Compute Cluster Build

Looking at those two cases stacked like that seems like it would make the ideal set-up for a tower sized, lab in a box. With it built into a wooden tower case (providing those boxes don't mind being run on their side), it would make the ideal home lab for those without a rack. Now, how much to...
  11. nickscott18

Links to Blogs

Looking through what I read on Feedly - other than Serve The Home, the only site I have related to home labs is JonKensys one. Completley agree with Robert's post - it's very hard to find good blogs on the matter.
  12. nickscott18

STH Official Meetup Group

If it was in Christchurch, New Zealand :D
  13. nickscott18

Low Voltage DC power distribution in home labs

Time to keep an eye out for a POE Gigabit switch by the looks of the comments here. Moving to 1 gigabit switch, and swapping over my wifi AP's to POE compatible ones will get rid of 3x wallwarts, leaving just the one for the the ONT - will also allow me to get rid of the POE injector block, and...
  14. nickscott18

Low Voltage DC power distribution in home labs

Been putting a bit of thought into this lately, and was wondering what other people do about low voltage distribution in their home labs. Reason I ask is at the moment, I've 6 wallwarts (4x 12v, 4x USB) in my lab, and a larger 12V power supply supplying power for the IP cameras, and I figure...
  15. nickscott18

D-Link DGS 1510-28X Discussion Thread

Will this review be covering just that model, or other ones in the range as well (if you don't mind me asking). Looking at the DGS 1510-20 version - looks to be ideal for my needs (16 ports, 2x SFP+, 2X SFP) - seems to be ideal for the home lab, and a decent switch only competitor to the...