Recent content by NickM

1. N

Need Quick Sync

It's been a while, but @Geran do you remember/have records of which supermicro boards will work with the Xeon's with an iGPU to support quicksync?
  2. N

SM CSE 826 sweet deal

Cool, many thanks for the info! Is there somewhere you guys are finding [or an old deal I missed?] reasonable pricing on those X10SRH boards? I only see them ~$500+ on ebay, and they don't seem special enough for multiple people to have made that choice at that price :)
  3. N

Updating the HGST HDD & SSD firmware

I have drives that are physically marked HUH728080AL5200 on the label, but show up as H7280A520SUN8.0T in sg_* and smartctl. These appear similar to the drives discussed here: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/8tb-sun-hgst-drive-showing-as-7-9tb-and-not-8-0tb-like-others.78733/...
  4. N

SM CSE 826 sweet deal

Cool, thanks I know the SQ psu's help, but how quiet is this chassis at powered-on idle with all the other fans? Will it be annoying behind only a hollow-door in a closet next to a living area? I have an old SC-846 where I replaced the fan wall with 3x120mm's, ripped out the Delta 80mm exhaust...
  5. N

SM CSE 826 sweet deal

What motherboards can I use in this? Anything well-priced? Do I need a whole daughter-board system in order to use PCI slots, or can this directly take a PCI card (either half or full height?) in a normal ATX motherboard?
  6. N

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Thanks - knowing that it exists for 40 and 100Gb over LC/OM4 for 'upgrading later' assuages some of my concerns of just running LC-terminated OM4 for now (presuming that's the easiest/cheapest route for now?) Are the breakout/feed-in casettes (or really -- I only need a single pair for now) for...
  7. N

What specific type of fiber should I run in my house for 10g (maybe 40g) now, and hopefully maintaining future upgradability? I thought I had this all figured out, and then realized the 10g SFP+ ($8) and 40g QSFP ($16) optical transceivers I was looking at had incompatible fiber runs, and now...
  8. N

FT: My new-in-box Nvidia RTX3090 for another Nvidia 3000/some combination of other recent nvidia GPUs

You're probably right. But how else am I going to hone my barter skills in advance of the inevitable collapse of society?! /s :)
  9. N

FT: My new-in-box Nvidia RTX3090 for another Nvidia 3000/some combination of other recent nvidia GPUs

The 3070 and 3060ti could be a good start, I'd say we'd just have to look at the specifics of recent sales to figure out the cash difference. Other stuff I might need: I'm actively looking for some silent 10ge switches; I've specifically identified an icx7150-24p or 48p as my ideal target. One...
  10. N

I have a new-in-box Founders Edition 3090 I just purchased at roughly MSRP and have in hand. It's really more card than I need, but it's what I could buy. Rather than sell it at scalper-pricing and then turn around and buy some other more moderate cards at scalper-pricing, I'm looking for a...
  11. N

WTB: Brocade ICX 7150 [24/24p/48/48p] switch. 7150-24p preferred

I'm looking to buy a Brocade ICX 7150 24-48 port switch (I'm in USA). Preferably with PoE, but that's not a hard requirement. I prefer anything from the 7150 line, as it has an OEM setting to operate fanless under moderate load. I might also settle for a 7250-24p or 6450-24p someone has one of...
  12. N

Actually..... I found a couple badly labeled ebay listings that I'm 98% confident are 7150 24-48's for $200-250. I bought one, I'll PM you the other; though I think the remaining one is non-PoE. But the non-PoE are the only fanless ones; the PoE models even with 0 PoE load are still +25W, so...
  13. N

It's heat and noise rather than the energy cost that are my motivation here, but they're obviously directly linked. That's a good idea, though it looks like the cheapest 7150-24 I see is still $400ish shipped. I'll keep an eye out, but for double+ the cost of the other options I'll just deal...
  14. N

WTB: Brocade ICX6450-48P

if T_Minus still has extra after fulfilling jht3's needs, I'm looking for one too! The 24P is my preference