Recent content by nickf1227

1. N

AsRock Rack X470D4U $199 @ Newegg

AsRock Rack X470D4U
  2. N

Server + Networking Sale

For sale is: HPE MicroServer Gen10 Server with an Opteron X3216, 16GB RAM, a 120GB SSD and 2x4TB HDD. Comes pre-installed with Server 2019 Standard. Price: $399 OBO, shipped Dell R630 barebones Chassis, comes with motherboard, raid card, heatsinks, fans, 4x trays, etc. Does not have processors...
  3. N

Building a Proxmox VE Lab Part 2 Deploying

I'm glad there is interest so far :)
  4. N

Project TinyMiniMicro HP EliteDesk 705 G3 Mini CE Review

Just to confirm Patrick's own testing on this, he sent me one with a 200GE. The Ryzen-based 200GE does not POST on this board. :( Per HP's doc: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-elitedesk-705-g3-small-form-factor-pc/10669599/swItemId/vc-246254-1...
  5. N

ASRock Rack ROMED8-2T Review an ATX AMD EPYC Platform

I would imagine, for the target audience of this platform, that single slot GPUs could very much be a viable option. The P4000, RTX4000, are just a couple that come to mind. You could virtualize a CAD lab with a couple of these bad boys and put thin clients on the desks to save space and heat load.
  6. N

ASRock Rack ROMED8-2T Review an ATX AMD EPYC Platform

Will, can you also look into the PCI-E Layout for the M.2 Drives? I know for the X470D4U the actual lane assignments and speeds were a little weird, with one being PCIE2 x4 and one being PCIE3 x2. I'm interested to see how the Gen4 link to the chipset gave them wiggle room. From the spec Sheet...
  7. N

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

I am having a strange spanning tree problem I cannot explain. I have an HP E3800 stack as my core. It's spanning tree is turned on globally and set as the root: The Brocade ICX 6450 Switch I have is uplinked to port 2/50. It is not designated as a If I turn on spanning-tree root guard I...
  8. N

Samsung PM983 U.2 very slow write speeds

@Whaaat brings up a good point. What are the testing methodologies used to determine the speed? Are we talking about random, sequential, what's the QD, etc
  9. N

Building a Lab Part 3 Configuring VMWare ESXI and TrueNAS Core

I understand man, truly. Here's what I think. Alot of people start off their IT careers by building PCs for friends, doing basic helpdesk roles, etc. Alot of them try to break out and do more complex stuff and try to do consulting work for small businesses to build up their resumes. Alot of...
  10. N

Building a Lab Part 3 Configuring VMWare ESXI and TrueNAS Core

I understand and appreciate the concerns. On ZFS: This article, in its entirety was written to almost 10,000 words. Patrick and I decided to spin the primer on ZFS to a dedicated piece not part of the lab. That is already written and edited and will be coming soon. I had actually wanted that...
  11. N

And so it begins... First AMD Ryzen AM4 server motherboard.

I do it all in VMWare so maybe that's the difference? But I pass a GTX1650 Ti to a windows guest just fine
  12. N

Teradici PCoIP zeroclient 6.0 firmware

I only have the 3.x and 4.x firmwares. Sorry :(
  13. N

Samsung PM983 U.2 very slow write speeds

What motherboard are you using and what other addin cards do you have? My best guess would be that you are using an M.2 slot that is going through the chipset and not to the CPU itself, and you have other competing resources using up all of the bandwidth.
  14. N

And so it begins... First AMD Ryzen AM4 server motherboard.

3.37? The latest on the website is still 3.30...and it works fine on 3.30.