Recent content by nickf1227

1. nickf1227

Let’s all Pause for a moment and Consider the state of pfsense

Yes. Because I maintain the above to be historically true. I am here because I want to be part of making it true for the next generation of young it folk as well.
  2. nickf1227

Agree. In isolation, that problem was not a big deal. Scale out a bit and consider other actions Netgate has made, maybe a bigger deal. Reason enough for the community to insist on more involvement in the pfSense CE codebase. I need help finding sane actors to help me rectify.
  3. nickf1227

Disagree. use cases exist beyond prime production. Ancillary services can be provided with no SLA. pfSense fills a void in that universe. I can go pretty deep into this, but I don't think it's worth it. You should just trust me that there are valid uses for pfSense in the enterprise, and not all...
  4. nickf1227

Current version of the Timeline in the code I am pondering. To steal a different proverb, keep your friends close but your enemies closer...
  5. nickf1227

I hope you don't think I am in the camp of folks not vested in this project. There are many ways to show support. I don't think theres as much ground we disagree on as you seem to think.
  6. nickf1227

Lets start by asking ourselves a simple question. pfSense, who are you? Do you love pfSense? I think I have resolved both of these questions, and the answer is yes. I’ve used Netgate hardware in production in real life for many purposes. It’s good. TAC, even TAC lite, is a great value add. Plus...
  7. nickf1227

What is a Debug and Why does (NickF think) it Matters?

Cross Posted from here: What is a Debug and Why does (NickF think) it Matters? | TrueNAS Community Disclaimer: This is a living document and I expect to revise it often-ish It's also a pretty half-way mix of my personal opinions and also presenting important information. Understanding the...
  8. nickf1227

Spencer V2.0-BETA 1- Now with Pineapple - A TrueNAS Email Alert Script

Cross Posted from Here, Full Script Available: Spencer V2.0-BETA 1- Now with Pineapple - An Email Alert Script for Potentially Hidden Problems | TrueNAS Community Cross Posted to Here, Spencer V2.0-BETA 1- Now with Pineapple - An TrueNAS Email Alert Script for Potentially Hidden Problems -...
  9. nickf1227

tinyMediaManager - ULTIMATE SOURCE OF MEDIA TRUTH - A TMM Script

This is a cross post on reddit: (1) tinyMediaManager - ULTIMATE SOURCE OF MEDIA TRUTH - Adding the most obvious feature - Write the correct metadata back to your files! : tinyMediaManager (reddit.com) OKay. So I love TMM. I've purchased it more to support the development than to actually gain...
  10. nickf1227

Using LTO Tapes to backup your TrueNAS

Originally posted here: https://www.truenas.com/community/resources/using-lto-tapes-to-backup-your-truenas.228/ Preface: I typically start these types of articles with a definition of the title and some explanation. Today I am going to break that trend, and jump into an anecdote from my...
  11. nickf1227

Spencer - TrueNAS Alert Script for Potentially Hidden Problems

Originally posted here: Spencer - An Email Alert Script for Potentially Hidden Problems | TrueNAS Community # Spencer is a basic Python script which is designed to run in conjunction with "multi_report" by Joe Schmuck # https://github.com/JoeSchmuck/Multi-Report # Spencer checks for additional...
  12. nickf1227

TrueNAS SCALE: A “Datacenter-in-a-box"

I am cross posting this here. Originally posted over in the resources section of the TrueNAS Forum. Figured some folks here might be interested. https://www.truenas.com/community/resources/truenas-scale-a-%E2%80%9Cdatacenter-in-a-box.224/ This resource is meant to be a series. Part 1 will...
  13. nickf1227

EMC KTN-STL3 15 bay chassis

WARNING! Hmm. So I got a deal on SAS3 12GBPS Controllers for my KTN-STL3 for $50 each. Part Number is 303-300-000C-02 My existing controllers are part number 303-108-000E The problem is that the alignment pins prevent the new controllers from being installed, so they are apparently NOT...
  14. nickf1227

Finally: Overclocking EPYC Rome ES

Hi all, I started using EPYC for my workstation. I saw this thread and was wondering what some of my options may be. I have an H11SSL-I and a 7302p. Are there any 16 core QS part numbers I can purchase? Basically looking for an alternate (cheaper) upgrade path vs buying a 7F52. My 7302p stays...
  15. nickf1227

Supermicro X9/X10/X11 Fan Speed Control

Yeah, I can absolutely set the RAW fan speed on my H11SSL-I and H12SSL-I ...