Recent content by neggles

1. N

Beware of EMC switches sold as Mellanox SX6XXX on eBay

I can't remember the specific command, but fae cable-stamping-unlock ? at the configuration prompt should give you a list of two options. One is 40g_lr4, the name of the other one implied that it would unlock 56G over unsupported cables.
  2. N

Yeaaaah, it's pretty much toast. Something's screwy with the i2c buses, which are on the SwitchX chip and/or the Lattice CPLD, and there's nothing obvious I can find other than a couple of blown zero-ohm resistors that shouldn't be relevant (and replacing didn't fix) Ports 1-4 don't work, ports...
  3. N

I think I saw it listed under one of the other status commands... *sigh* It's still very unhappy about the fans all being dead, but it's not generating 10MB of syslog messages every few minutes, so that's a plus. It also still won't recognize any SFP+ modules installed in a QSA... but it does...
  4. N

Thanks a bunch; (un?)fortunately I'm not missing anything, but it's good to be sure. That said, oh my god, I'm an idiot. Remember a few posts back where I showed how to flash from within the CLI fae menu? This line is wrong: sx6012 [standalone: master] (fae) # flint -allow_psid_change...
  5. N

My bad, I forgot to even mention the actual issue ‍*facepalm* it refuses to identify any optics/DACs; they all show as "unsupported module" or "invalid/missing EEPROM data in module". I did once manage to get it to identify a genuine Mellanox 40G IB DAC, but it won't even identify that anymore...
  6. N

Maybe this SX6012 is dead, after all. It's being really weird, no doubt because of the blown fan chip - the issues I'm seeing seem to be mostly centered around I2C bus stuff, it essentially won't identify any optics/DACs no matter what I do :( it also seems to require an fae mst restart after...
  7. N

Okay, so it hit 2am where I live and I called it quits for the night. It takes forever to log into the local console, hangs on 'Modules are being configured'... Anyway, once it's logged in, you can indeed run flint from the system; there's no easy way to access the internal filesystem, as far...
  8. N

I thought I saw flint in there, now to find out if the fae flint command will play ball with the -allow_psid_change -override_cache_replacement flags. My SX6012 is currently rolling through its firstboot process, so once it's done freaking out over ECC errors, I'll give it a try - saves a couple...
  9. N

I'm kind of surprised that nobody's discovered this hidden menu yet, but here's a fix for that; configure terminal fae cable-stamping-unlock 40g_lr4 exit write memory Not 100% sure I remember that right, but fae cable-stamping-unlock ? will show you the available unlocks - there's one other...
  10. N

Mikrotik CRS317-1G-16S+RM / 10GbE

The CRS317 will work with those just fine, yeah. It's not super picky, it's not really picky at all.
  11. N

How to reformat HDD & SSD to 512B Sector Size

Try sg_format with the -S (secure erase mode) flag. May work better. Can someone try to solve this riddle for me? I have four HUSMR1610ASS204s that presumably came out of a 3PAR. They report themselves as being an HP-specific part number, HSCP0920S5xnNMRI, unlike the HUSMR1010ASS204 model...
  12. N

Mikrotik CRS317-1G-16S+RM / 10GbE

That’d be a no - SwOS uses a lightweight webUI only.
  13. N

Gigabit + 10Gb Switches under $550

@OP: I'd go with the UBNT ES-16-XG, depending on what the copper-port devices you're connecting are (some NICs still have occasional issues with connecting to the XG's 10GbaseT ports). That, or wait for the CRS312-4C+8XG - it shouldn't be long, but might be a few months. Will this be your core...
  14. N

Cheap LGA2011 (v1) systems and more

It also uses the same drive trays as any 12G/13G Dell server, so you can pick 'em up for about $7-8ea.
  15. N

Monoprice 3m QSFP+ DACs for $10.58

You'd need an I2C EEPROM reader/writer, and something to connect to the contacts - so a QSFP+ slot. It's doable, but last time I looked into it it was harder than just replacing the cables :( If you've got a dead 40GbE NIC lying around that you can salvage the QSFP+ cage off, and you know your...