Recent content by Negative Entropy

1. N

Supermicro X9/X10/X11 Fan Speed Control

FWIW I recall only being able to change the lowers. Well, those were also the only ones I was worried about. Also Noctuas as I recall. See my post #140 in this thread: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/supermicro-x9-x10-x11-fan-speed-control.10059/post-339648
  2. N

Intel 15.36TB U.2 NVMe SSDs for $895 OBO New

That’s some ultra low endurance. About 0.2 DWPD? You can get the D7-P5520 for about 50% more than that with 5X the endurance and much, much better performance if you’re doing more than reading. Using the 5520 in my Veeam B&R server and I have found it to be a great value.
  3. N

W790 Motherboard discussion thread

I have only used VROC with Server 2019 and on a different chipset, but here's what I know: 1) The BIOS has a firmware level driver - this is how you can interact with the VROC settings in the BIOS. In the Supermicro board I use VROC on, it allows configuring an array, etc. in the BIOS. Though I...
  4. N

Avago 9305-16e for $133 + ship in CDW Outlet

Thanks for posting this @Samir. Have an existing business account w/ CDW so grabbed one and it arrived just like it should have.
  5. N

Supermicro X12STH Intel RAID limits

If this is VROC, then it does support > 4 drives in RAID 5, but only RAID 5 (as I recall anyway). And there are increasing caveats for using it in Raid 5 with > 4 drives (delayed parity checks). If it's not VROC, then I have no idea ;).
  6. N

LGA 1700 Alder Lake "Servers"

Yeah the P44 is pretty sweet. Windows is the limitation for me - do not recommend the various flavors of windows software RAID. But if you are on the *nix side I say go for it.
  7. N

I use RAID 1 for boot devices on all of my production servers at work, but don’t bother at home.
  8. N

As others have noted, IPMI value all depends on your environment. For me, it pays for itself after 1-2 unscheduled uses. I’ll need to check my notes for idle power. I think it was around 50-60W. 2 NVMe, 4 system fans and AIO pump. No add in cards and 2x32 GB.
  9. N

To answer the question on what folks are running: I have 2 of the SM boards, one 12900K, one 13900K. Had some issues getting Windows 11 to be happy on the 13900k but it was really early in the CPU release. Both have E cores disabled and are number crunches for CFD simulation. Both watercooled...
  10. N

Level1Techs has had a few videos on this platform in recent weeks. It confirms if you want decent all core performance, some level of overclocking is needed and you need to budget 400-500W (minimum) for CPU cooling. See their Falcon Northwest system review for a "factory OC" that seems...
  11. N

Intel VROC with Bifurcation Card, only detects one drive. But Windows sees all four.

Sounds like only one of the 4 "ports" is in VMD mode. When not in VMD mode the NVMe drives just show up as regular NVMe drives. I have a different X12 system and all of the NVMe connectors I am using are on mainboard (not using retimer cards). So my experience may not apply, but I'll try: In my...
  12. N

I am on mobile so I will keep this relatively short. This article in AEC magazine has some good in-depth performance and behavior numbers. As feared and expected the CPU frequency/scaling performance is pretty abysmal as more cores are engaged. Without overclocking and therefore watercooling...
  13. N

Unknown - waiting on some 3rd party reviews and hopefully core scaling (watts vs MHz vs temps) data. Lead times were a few weeks on at least some of these, so I suspect not many in the wild yet. I built out a potential rackmount BOM for an overclockable DIY and it came to $4600: Item desc $...
  14. N

I know most of us are in the "build" camp, but for work I always check OEM for a benchmark. Supermicro, Dell and HP have their workstation configurators live. Supermicro has a watercooling option, the others look like air only. SYS-551A-T | Full-Tower | SuperServer | Products | Supermicro HP...