Recent content by NateS

1. N

Asrockrack D1540D4U-2O8R - Onboard NIC not working

That sounds suspiciously like a hardware problem. Reset failures and inability to access a port expander *could* be a driver issue, but if you've tried multiple different OSes and the behavior is the same, most likely the message is pointing to a real failure. My bet is that it's using the...
  2. N

How do you determine which physical network port software is referring to?

I tend to go low tech for this sort of stuff: my supermicro motherboards came with physical printouts that labeled the logical names of each port; and immediately on putting it in a case, I transferred those labels to the ports with a sharpie.
  3. N

[Article Suggestion] OCU Link - What it is, what you can use it for, problems/expanding, etc?

Yeah, I think an article that could be very useful would be something like 'NVMe connection options', which looks at all the complexities of U.2/M.2/U.3/EDSFF/etc, the backplane vs direct attached cable options, the switch-based HBA/bifrucation HBA/tri-mode HBA/HW NVMe Raid card options...
  4. N

[Article Suggestion] OCU Link - What it is, what you can use it for, problems/expanding, etc?

I think you might be overestimating the complexity of oculink. It's basically just a different connector for PCIe, the same way that slimSAS or miniSAS HD can be. Originally it was meant to have optical options, but that never really went anywhere. Cables to adapt to the connector of your...
  5. N

PCIe 5.0: any adapters to PCIe 4.0 2x16 or to 8 NVMe Gen 4 SSD?

There's no way around needing a switch chip if you're hoping to split the bandwidth of gen5 lanes to double the amount of gen4 lanes. Bifurcation just lets you split the x16 into x4/x4/x4/x4, but each lane will still be gen5, and if you connect it to a gen4 drive, it will drop down to gen4...
  6. N

Ethernet controlled power strips in 2022?

Expensive, but if you need the programmability: https://dlidirect.com/products/new-pro-switch
  7. N

z690 (adler lake) motherboard with sriov support?

It seems that some of the asrock mini-itx boards support it, such as this one: https://download.asrock.com/Manual/Z690%20Phantom%20Gaming-ITXTB4.pdf
  8. N

z690 (adler lake) motherboard with sriov support?

Would a W680 board work for you? The supermicros at least officially support SR-IOV: X13SAE-F | Motherboards | Products | Super Micro Computer, Inc.
  9. N

How do you avoid Lightning damage?

The most important thing to do is make sure your building's grounding system is set up properly. In a lot of older buildings, it's common for the ground system to need some maintenance. First of all, you should check what your ground system ultimately connects to, which should be some...
  10. N

APC NetShelter CX 24U on home power outlet?

How high CFM, and how quiet? The closest thing I can think of is something like this, which I have in my attic. It's quiet enough that I can't hear it from inside anyway. https://www.amazon.com/QuietCool-Attic-Gable-Thermostat-PRO-2-0/dp/B08CS432J8/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=B08CS432J8&th=1
  11. N

That looks like a good solution overall. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that the gaps around the door itself will probably not be well sealed, and so if the pressure inside and outside the closet is not balanced, air will travel through those gaps as well. This can actually be useful if...
  12. N

Yes, good point on the UPSes -- a device that's measuring and potentially generating a voltage certainly needs to know what voltage it's supposed to use. I was referring more to end use devices, like server PSUs, which often don't care. As for switching the hot wires, you're right that in...
  13. N

Gotcha. Yeah, a fan can go on a door, a mini-split cannot. If fans are sufficient for your use case, and especially if you can make good use of the heat to heat the rest of your house, that's the way to go for sure. Yes exactly. The vast majority of devices that support US 208V, US 240V...
  14. N

You won't find any that go on a door, because the coolant lines would not be able to flex repeatedly like that. You could install it directly above the door on the wall though; that's actually a fairly common place to put them. Just keep in mind that you'll have to route coolant and condensate...
  15. N

They're in the North America based on the voltage available. I was just about to suggest a mini-split, +1. If it's installed at the same time the electrical work is done, the coolant lines could be installed while the wall is open already. Yes, that APC is rated to work with North American...