Recent content by NateR

1. N

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Thank you for the response. This switch is not connected to anything outside of my rack, and everything within it is connected to the same PDU. It was purely from static electricity (I live in a dry area) from me. I've had other times where it seemed like just touching the front of the switch...
  2. N

Anyone have any ideas about the ESD issue? Been eyeing the Mikrotik CRS328-24P-4S+RM as a possible replacement for the lower noise, lower power usage, and due to the perception of lack of reliability in the Brocade (my other switch is currently full because I've tried to keep as much as possible...
  3. N

x4x4 PCIe to Dual M.2 for 1u Chassis?

Probably not, at this point... Just bought it a few weeks ago, and my vague ideas didn't turn out as I'd thought, so have made a couple of modifications to get everything working how I want. It's going to be a pretty static, long-running server (off-site backup server), so I don't believe I'll...
  4. N

Thanks for the suggestion. I've spent some time looking at that and the manual, and I'm fairly certain that's not going to work with a standard PCIe x4 slot. Pretty sure that's proprietary. As for not fitting... Even without the 2.5in drives on top of the HDDs, it's not going to fit (don't...
  5. N

Yes, that in x8 is exactly what I am looking for. The x8 slot on this board is closed on the back, and there's a connector right behind it that would block anything longer, so I can't simply cut out the back of it. EDIT: Just took a look at their other offerings. This is closer, but for some...
  6. N

Thank you for the suggestion. I took a look at that at one point, and the only place that it would fit in there would block all airflow from the hard drives. Looks like I'll go with that NVMe + SATA option. Thank you for your thoughts on this!
  7. N

Not really anywhere to relocate the card that it would relocate, unfortunately. I've looked around for some x8 to 2x x4 risers (so that I could then go from each x4 to an m.2 adapter), but between difficulty finding all the needed parts, the added cables further reducing airflow, and the added...
  8. N

Way too tall. This needs to be able to fit vertically into a 1u chassis. I actually just found something that would work... It requires that I use 1x NVMe and 1x SATA SSD. Not quite ideal, but is the best option I have found, as I do have spare SATA ports. If anyone knows of basically exactly...
  9. N

Hello, all, I've got a couple SuperMicro 5018-FTN4 servers that I've got fully loaded at this point, and am looking at trying to add a couple of additional SSDs to it. I already have them packed, so there is no room for any additional 2.5in SSDs (I've even designed and 3d printed brackets to...
  10. N

Supermicro - Configuring Fan Speed by RPM?

Hello, all, I've got a couple of SuperMicro 5018A-FTN4 I'm using to run TrueNAS on. I've got a couple of HDDs in them, and they're idling up around 50c, so having installed an additional fan (Noctua) pointing at these drives to try and bring the idle temps down a bit. Unfortunately, the RPM of...
  11. N

Anyone have any ideas about either of these? Thank you
  12. N

Hello all, I've got an ICX6450-24p I've had in use for a year or so now. I've noticed that when I mess around with stuff in my rack, sometimes I'll lose the SFP ports (no status lights), which I use for uplink to the upstream switch, requiring a reboot of the switch. I believe I've finally...
  13. N

Solved: Brocade ICX 6450 - Intra-VLAN Switching Not Occurring

FINAL EDIT: After many hours of digging, finally figured it out: It was the Uplink-switch configuration. I don't know what that is supposed to do (when setting up the VLAN, I'd thought it was just telling the switch which port the default gateway would be accessed through), but it was preventing...
  14. N

HP EliteDesk 800 G3 Mini - Anyone Try 64GB RAM? (2x32GB)

That's great to hear! Thanks for the confirmation on that. Good to hear I have some head-room.