Recent content by NashBrydges

1. N

Firewall Appliance QuadCore, 6GB RAM, PCIe - Sophos XG

I had a spare Dell R230 so I've installed Sophos XG on that server. Not too bad with power but quite happy I did that because I got a 1Gbps fiber to the home internet and it can handle all of that even with all of the rules and filtering (IPS) active.
  2. N

Need some general security and setup advice

Here is the NGINX config file. If you have trouble setting this up, let me know and I'll help where I can. server { listen 80; # replace mycustomdomain.com with your own domain; server_name mycustomdomain.com www.mycustomdomain.com; # line below redirects HTTP requests to the...
  3. N

Need some general security and setup advice

NextCloud is one of the most secure and robust file sharing platforms out there and it is designed to be available as a public site. Sure, having it behind a VPN is more secure but that's assuming your VPN setup isn't vulnerable (ie: don't use PPP but instead use L2TP as a bare minimum with...
  4. N

Software for Local Backup with UnMapped Network Drives

You haven't mentioned whether you want to backup a virtual machine or a physical machine so trying to speak to both. Veeam makes products that can address your need for both virtual and physical. Veeam Backup & Replication will handle your virtual (without the need to install an agent on the...
  5. N

[SOLVED]: Troubles Automounting samba Share

This is my Plex mount command. //192.168.100.83/movies /media/plexdata cifs vers=3.0,credentials=/home/username/.smbcredentials, iocharset=utf8,uid=username,gid=username,noperm 0 0 Asking the obvious but...you have a user account on the remote machine that you are mounting from that matches...
  6. N

any idea how to add VPN client to Server 20016 Core/Hyper-v Core

This sounds like an ideal scenario for ZeroTier. Installing the .msi client on Hyper-V would be super simple. Install the ZeroTier client on both ends of the connection and you'll immediately have a super simple SSL VPN connection between the 2 devices. It will assign a new IP to each device and...
  7. N

WD Red 8TB non PRO for 12 bays

I've personally used these WD Red drives in a Dell R510 12 bay servers for years without any problems.
  8. N

Have I Lost My Mind? - New to me house needs network drops. Server rack in the garage...

The real concern with the server in the garage is humidity. There's a risk that temps will cross the "dew" temperature and you'll end-up with moisture in your server. Do you plan to close off the rack with some kind of humidity/temp control?
  9. N

Dell drive compatibility list

While I haven't used these specific drives. I have used MANY non-Dell branded drives in a number of Dell servers and all of them have worked. You don't mention which server and which Perc card you're using but my first suggestion would be to check and make sure that your Perc drivers and...
  10. N

Anyone familiar recovering bricked Dell PSU from firmware update failure?

I had the exact same outcome when trying to upgrade firmware on my Dell R620. Bricked both PSUs and nothing I did could revive them. Luckily it was still under warranty and Dell sent replacements. The moral of this story for me is that I don't do firmware upgrades on PSUs anymore.
  11. N

need a way to share soccer pics for free

Here are a few self-hosted alternatives if you want to go down this road. 100+ self-hosted alternatives to popular services | RoseHosting I've used Lychee in the past and worked quite well.
  12. N

Dell r230, will 4x32GB ECC Modules work?

LMGTFY Pages 64 and 65 of the user manual are what you're looking for. MAX = 64GB https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/poweredge-r230_owners-manual_en-us.pdf
  13. N

Designing a house with networking in mind

Echoing others a bit... - Conduit with rounded elbows (be sure it is properly fire rated for your location) - Make sure to install pull string in the conduit while the conduit is being installed (you'll kick yourself later if you ever want to run more wire or replace one) - Run twice the drops...
  14. N

Firewall Solution with nice Live packet filter view?

You can both filter and it will auto scroll/update live.
  15. N

Firewall Solution with nice Live packet filter view?

I run Sophos XG Home at home on a 1 GBPs internet connection and I can confirm that IPS on definitely allows full Gbps. I haven’t tried a speed test on the VPN but I’ve never had any speed issues using it. It’s running on a Dell Poweredge R230, 240 GB SSD, 8GB RAM and an E3-1220 v5. It's true...