Recent content by Nanotech

1. N

Dual XEON 2696V4 + X10DAX Epic Disaster build - BSOD randomly - please help..

The overclocking features wouldn't make a difference because your processors are locked for multiplier adjustment and can barely overclock using BCLK adjustment. Also when purchasing a motherboard it's recommended to use the modules on the QVL list.
  2. N

Dual XEON 2696V4 + X10DAX Epic Disaster build - BSOD randomly - please help..

2696 V4 supports DDR4-2400 as do all V4 processors. Running all 8 DIMM's wouldn't cause an issue like that even though it does place a bigger load on the IMC of the processor.
  3. N

Repairing/Replacing capacitors on a Xeon E5?

I also agree with this. I wouldn't recommend replacing those small SMT components on the processor either. If it works then leave it as-is.
  4. N

I have a 'warranty' sticker stuck to my V4 Xeon CPU!?

If the seller didn't want to inconvenience buyers with this sticker (which can be incorrect applied or may have bad adhesive to begin with) he should just record the ATPO and FPO number. There is absolutely no need to apply a 3rd party seller sticker. Also in terms of longevity of a sticker and...
  5. N

ES Xeon Discussion

That really depends on how many revisions and stepping an early ES went through before it even got to pre-QS or QS stage. But generally they are within 90% of a QS aside from obvious differences such as clock speeds, errata fixes, turbo bins, microcode, etc...
  6. N

ES Xeon Discussion

Exactly. Look at reviews and reviewers. 99% of the time they test on QS samples which are 99.9% identical to a production processor whether it be a Xeon or an i3/i5/i7. Usually those QS are also the finalized QS samples as it rarely goes to QS2 stages (unless there is a later revision)
  7. N

Thermal Grease Options

Their both 8 years durability. For example I looked at the Noctua thermal paste and it says 3 years under normal operating conditions and temperatures.
  8. N

Thermal Grease Options

Apparently Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut is rated the best in terms of performance but for say a 20g tube it's at least several times more expensive than a tube of 20g MX-2/MX-4 thermal paste. From what I've seen even the best rated thermal paste other than MX-2/MX-4 usually advertise a lifetime of...
  9. N

Der8auer LN2 Clocks 18-core Core i9 7980XE To 6 GHz (Uses 1000 Watts Energy)

I saw it as well. Their still using TIM on the 12c - 18c i9 processors. I'm sure the LGA2066 Workstation Xeons are probably using TIM as well.
  10. N

Advice on E5-26XX V2 CPU's

2680 V2 would provide the best price/performance if the 2690 V2/2696 V2 are outside of your price range while providing 10c/20t.
  11. N

I have a 'warranty' sticker stuck to my V4 Xeon CPU!?

You can tell the seller put the sticker there (seller is HWTrade) but it serves no purpose other than them voiding the warranty if you remove it from that seller. As far as I could tell it shouldn't cause any issues with it installed even though it is above the SMT components. As long as the...
  12. N

ES Xeon Discussion

Motherboard manufacturers do not publish typically compatibility with engineering samples because they can only publish compatibility with production processors. There's also another reason for that and that is because Intel considers "ES" illegal to own and doesn't want motherboard...
  13. N

Asus X99 Deluxe II BIOS only showing 18 of 22 cores?

I was also going to say that if it recognizes the processor correctly and it shows the correct core count in Windows I would disregard that as the BIOS are optimized for Haswell-E/Broadwell-E processors.
  14. N

ES Xeon Discussion

If stability is a concern and it is a mission critical environment I would run it on a QS CPU which aside from microcode string detection is practically identical to a production processor. I wouldn't necessarily do it on an ES2 if it's mission critical.
  15. N

ES Xeon Discussion

Yes those are ES2 processors which means they will not work with the X99 Deluxe II. The CPU-Z stepping should show 1. If it shows 0 it's an ES2 which isn't compatible. Only QS (qualification sample) or production processors will work with the X99 Deluxe II (that applies to other ASUS X99...