Recent content by n17ikh

1. N

GBASE-T transceivers performance with NBASE-T - Marvell 88x3300 v/s Aquantia AQS-107

Is that the UACC-CM-RJ45-MG? Ubiquiti rearranged their website and it seems like it isn't on their store anymore. They have the 10G listed on a page that says it's multigig, but this post says Ubiquiti shipped them the -10G non-multigig version. Seems like a bit of a mess.
  2. N

AMD EPYC 7302p+ Supermicro H11SSL-i version 2

I think the writing might be on the wall for my dual e5-2670 machine; I ripped the VGA connector off the board recently doing maintenance and I suspect the machine might be on borrowed time. I've been eyeing the H12/Epyc combo for a while... Is there a better bang-for-buck CPU over the 7302p if...
  3. N

15$ Dell Wyse 5060 Thin Client

It's a 4 pin "snap and lock" connector. Pinout unknown but not too hard to figure out. The OEM power supply is one of these Inventus units: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/inventus-power/FWA150012A-12B/2124362 but with that 4-pin connector. Any old 120W or higher 12V brick will...
  4. N

ULTRASTAR DC SN630

So they are.. $24 is still steep-ish for what those are. Better than $35 though. From the datasheet for these: So yeah, they'll deny your warranty if you exceed the endurance limit of the drive.
  5. N

ULTRASTAR DC SN630

Tempting but at least for me having to buy PCIe u.2 adapters really cuts into the value of drives like these. Especially since a crappy PCB shipped from China with zero components except for a u.2 connector is around $35 still, because of Chia maybe. Anyone got a source for lower-priced adapter...
  6. N

[Update: Seller Complaints Accumulating] HGST Ultrastar He10 - 10TB @ $129.95

I formatted the drives I couldn't flash with a newer firmware (because model number was 4204, not 4200) to 512. Had no issues and I'd imagine the 4200/42C0s would be the same.
  7. N

[Update: Seller Complaints Accumulating] HGST Ultrastar He10 - 10TB @ $129.95

I bought one of these from the same seller last week-ish when they were still $150. The SMART output if anyone is interested: smartctl 7.2 2020-12-30 r5155 [x86_64-linux-5.11.22-1-pve] (local build) Copyright (C) 2002-20, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org === START OF...
  8. N

Updating the HGST HDD & SSD firmware

So I recently bought a pile of SAS HE10s (HUH721010AL4200) to go with some I already had. I had had some performance issues with these drives in the past, where delayed reads would cause them to fall off the expander with a power-on reset error. I thought I'd look around to see if I could find...
  9. N

ICX7150 for repair?

I just powered mine down for the first time since I moved it to my desk a year ago, and what do you know, it didn't power back on. No voltage out of the PSU. Nothing visible is smoked on the supply and the switch powers up on a bench supply; I'll have to tear into it further when I get time.
  10. N

Supermicro X11SSQ-L w/G4560 & 8GB RAM - $99 Shipped (Ebay Offer)

All gone, someone bought 42. STH effect strikes again.
  11. N

Dual Xeon-D

The A2000 has an issue with PCIe power saving. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Solid_state_drive/NVMe#Controller_failure_due_to_broken_APST_support Not sure if it's the issue you're seeing or not. If you're on Linux, try the kernel parameter nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=0
  12. N

HE10 SAS performance issues

Yeah, I took the drive out for some additional bench testing and noticed the ominous clicking once it wasn't drowned out by all the server noise. I tried a full-disk read and it started fast and eventually dropped to a 10MB/s crawl. So, I bought a "used" HE10 from eBay to replace it, which I...
  13. N

HE10 SAS performance issues

I've been chasing some performance issues with my NAS (Supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD, BPN-SAS2-836EL1, 8 10TB HUH721010AL4204, 8 3TB mixed SAS and SATA drives arranged into two md RAID6 arrays, one for the 3TB and one for 10TB drives) lately and could use some additional eyes on this. After poking...
  14. N

12TB WD Elements $175 w/Prime

WD just throws whatever drives they want in the externals, so it's always a gamble.
  15. N

Dual Xeon-D

I picked up four Transcend SSD370S 128GB SSDs to use as boot drives. At $15/ea they were cheaper than SATADOMs and I had the space in the chassis. Installed Proxmox on each drive using a spare laptop, corrected /etc/network/interfaces, and added the console lines to /etc/default/grub. Worked...