Recent content by ms264556

1. M

MEGA 2.5GbE Switch Guide Update with 21 New Models Added

I think the spying/exfiltration risks from these cheap switches is waaaaay overblown. As @MountainBofh says, it makes no sense at all to put implants in vast numbers of devices: this is a sure way to have your plans discovered very quickly. Just look at how quickly OpenWRT enthusiasts have...
  2. M

Ruckus Wireless as an Unifi alternative?

Sorry. Too much time spent replying to Reddit questions. I had mini DC UPSs on everything because I get frequent 5 or 10 minute power cuts, so a small online UPS has been a good replacement. Regarding the 1Gb vs multigig injectors, I had good luck running 2.5Gb through a variety of 1Gb...
  3. M

1) The R650's maximum throughput is quite a bit higher than 1Gbps, but there are very few current client devices which will connect at >1200Mbps & it's unusual to have several devices pushing 1Gb of traffic simultaneously at home, so gigabit is unlikely to cramp your style much. 2) If the...
  4. M

The ZD1200 has minimum 5 AP licenses. And you can contact me privately if you buy one and need to enable upgrade entitlement. ZD1100 doesn't support modern APs, so don't buy one. But as someone who runs ZoneDirector, Unleashed & SmartZone... I wouldn't bother buying a ZD because the R650 is...
  5. M

The management features use up next to no CPU in a home network. And you can assign a preferred master so that controller is fixed, and a management IP so even if your preferred master goes offline you still have the same management IP. For the management web you can hit any of the AP IPs and...
  6. M

I think Unleashed is better than you think - Ruckus have included the ZoneDirector controller software on every AP & then implemented a distributed database with an election mechanism to pick the master which performs controller functions. Every Ruckus AP you can buy has plenty of CPU power to...
  7. M

EXPIRED Neat GPS clock SFP module - $20

(I'm imagining Patrick's review of one of these :p )
  8. M

Wow. I wonder what other server-in-an-SFP modules there are.
  9. M

These are all gone, but assuming I bought one off the outfit which have them for $30... Does this module just pickup an IP and look like an NTP host out on my network?
  10. M

Minisforum MS-01 Review The 10GbE with PCIe Slot Mini PC

I'm directly comparing this with Dell/HP/Lenovo 1L PCs. In theory those can be upgraded, but in practice (here in NZ) the price of bare upgrade CPUs to fit these is greater than just buying a newer generation model which has the improved performance + newer components. It's insane how much...
  11. M

MinisForum MS-01 : heating problem

Please don't join a forum and immediately post unpleasant comments. The users here are very helpful and the mood is quite light and informal. There was a good answer to your question: the MS-01 fans do have a high pitched whine. (And the MBP comment made me crack a smile, having shared space...
  12. M

I wouldn't say it's much better. The R650 has a different shaped coverage area from the R730. In my case (2 storey wooden house with drywall everywhere) the R730 had a stronger signal directly below than the R650. For a 1 storey house, this extra vertical reach is not necessarily an advantage...
  13. M

Minisforum MS-01 PCIe Card and RAM Compatibility Thread

The i226v not working is typical Intel. They prevent client NIC drivers from running on server OSs. There'll be a ton of internet guides for Intel client NICs on Windows Server - I remember following one to get windows server onto my NUC. As well as the inf file I think I needed to temporarily...
  14. M

TP-link TL-SG3210XHP-M2 switch - 2 x SFP+, 8 x 2.5G PoE+ L2+ switch - $337

The weasel-word is "limited". The last Netgear, Ruckus & Aruba hardware I bought all had the same limitations: only the original buyer can claim on the warranty, and only until 5 years after the hardware is end-of-sale.
  15. M

What in the ??? Binardat 4 Port 2.5G Switch with 2x10G SFP

Here's a couple of my old Netgear 1Gb switches switches vs the 2.5/10Gb replacements. Sizes are definitely in the same ballpark.