Recent content by mrseth1

1. M

Riverbed CX-770 $30BO

Could it be the USB drive? Sometimes my usb boot drives get funky from laying too many images on them. Maybe try re-downloading the image, checking the checksum, and applying to a new drive. I've been using USB port 2 on the front. Also, one time I had an issue where the checksums were failing...
  2. M

Riverbed CX-770 $30BO

Awesome job! I'm gonna have to dust off my 3D printer for this one. Genius!
  3. M

Riverbed CX-770 $30BO

You need to set the nics to "No ByPass" in the BIOS to make them act like normal nics. Advanced | LAN ByPass Configuration On my box nics are assigned from left to right (looking at the front of the unit). So first nic (PRI) is WAN, second NIC (AUX) is LAN, and so on. Half the issue is...
  4. M

Riverbed CX-770 $30BO

Nice! I haven't used SecureCRT in like 10 years. Didn't know it was still being maintained. Blast from the past. I've just been using Putty, or shell.
  5. M

Riverbed CX-770 $30BO

For ESXi USB boot serial console I loosely followed this guide: Installing ESXi over serial console (headless, no video card) | vmware admins In a nutshell, after you create the bootable esxi usb thumb drive, you need to Edit the /boot.cfg From: kernelopt=cdromBoot runweasel To...
  6. M

Riverbed CX-770 $30BO

Did you download the serial console version of pfsense? You need to download and boot from the serial console version of pfsense. Same with ESXi. I had to modify the USB boot files on the USB drive to boot from serial on ESXi. The UEFI secure boot errors are false (I got them too); just the...
  7. M

Riverbed CX-770 $30BO

Bummer about the ssd. I wonder if it's something with new ssd format. It sees it, but at a different size, hmmm. I have a couple of different ssds I will test out of curiosity, but they are all older type. Also, I don't remember my CPU getting to 61C. That is kind of toasty for idle. Did you...
  8. M

Riverbed CX-770 $30BO

FYI, all the NICs work out of the box on ESXI 6.7 if you want a hassle free experience. I know it's EOL soon, but it will still work fine for a lab environment. Or you can prob cp the igb driver from 6.7 to 7. I'll just be using 6.7.
  9. M

Riverbed CX-770 $30BO

You need a Cisco console cable to connect to the console port over Putty. In Putty, select the Serial option, and specify the serial com port and speed. My serial settings were (COM7 9600) but may be different on your machine. You can get the com port from device manager in Windows. 9600 is the...
  10. M

Riverbed CX-770 $30BO

The Riverbed CX-770 doesn't seem to be picky on RAM. I was able to install some old non-ecc ddr3 1600 desktop ram into it. Booted and is using it fine.
  11. M

Riverbed CX-770 $30BO

ESXI Works (version 7U3)! Took a look on my lunch break, and I was able to install ESXI 7 on the box. It complains about the CPU may not be supported in the future, and it didn't like the Intel DH8900CC gigabit network cards (4) (may need to manually install the driver), but the two Intel i210...
  12. M

Riverbed CX-770 $30BO

Yeah, it SHOULD work. ESXI supports headless, and serial redirection. But I won't know for certain until I play around with it some more this weekend. Maybe somebody else has tried it already on this box...
  13. M

Riverbed CX-770 $30BO

Finally got a power supply in, and started playing with the box. It's a solid server class box, and for $30 - $40 bucks, I think it's a steal. My two came with the 4 core Xeons, and 4G of ECC RAM (2x2G). I was able to enable hyperthreading and pci passthrough in the BIOS, and installed Proxmox...
  14. M

Riverbed CX-770 $30BO

Looks like I lucked out. I ordered and received two of them. One came with no drives, and the other came with 2 drives (160G SSD and a 320GB HDD). Both have 4GB of ECC MEM. I plan to up the RAM to 32G and run vmware or proxmox as a firewall/router test mini lab. I don't have the power supplies...
  15. M

Riverbed CX-770 $30BO

I saw it. You're right, it had a ton of good info in it, like the boot sequence and IPMI pass reset. Looks like there is going to be another flood of these on ebay soon from Cali. I think they said ~$75 - $100 including the power supply.