Recent content by mrossco

1. M

2.5G networking with RTL8125B and SR-IOV support on Linux

As best as I can tell, you’ll have to go to a 10gbe nic with 802.3bz support…something like an Intel X550 or V710. 2.5gbe is considered a transitional technology to help organizations ease their move to 10gbe.
  2. M

2.5G networking with RTL8125B and SR-IOV support on Linux

I don't have experience with this specific chipset, but I do have the USB variant RTL8156B and have been doing a ton of research. Linux support seems to work out-of-the-box but there's no support for SR-IOV, sorry.
  3. M

Endoscope Recommendations

Hi all, I need to add some drops for ceiling-mounted APs and cameras, and thanks to Patrick's series on fiber, I'm seriously contemplating running doing the same for my lab. Unfortunately, the builder did not do such a hot job when they ran CAT-5e through much of my home. I'm having a hard time...
  4. M

I may get a few Atom Rangeley or Denverton appliances. I believe these devices may be good for Docker, but how do you install them baremetal?

I echo the recommendation. You should be able to find guides on how to install Ubuntu on those devices. Its a good Debian-based Linux distribution with solid community support. Good OS to learn on. From there, Docker should be straightforward. Just follow the instructions on their website...
  5. M

Pfsense under ESXI slow WAN speed

Any reason you disabled offloading? I don’t have direct experience with this hardware, but the first thing you want to do is make sure you have the proper driver installed. As old as this platform is, I suspect no special configuration should be necessary. when you disable offloading, this...
  6. M

Pfsense under ESXI slow WAN speed

Specifically, what motherboard are you running, and are you using the onboard NICs or did you plug in a PCIE card?
  7. M

80m 10base-t copper transceivers

These are 10GBase-T units. The specific model number is ASF-10G-T80. I have a number of small formfactor devices with 2.5G that I want to plug into my switch, so that’s why I bought them. I’ll definitely post back my experience. I’ll see if I can setup a test that includes 6, 30, and 80...
  8. M

It turns out I was able to purchase 10Gtek units for about 65USD each shipped, so I decided to give ‘me a go. I’ll report back with what I find.
  9. M

Looking for layer3 switch / router, need advice. Found need additional advice.

Where are you getting your 800mb/s number from? Is this from UISP?
  10. M

I’ve been following STH reviews of 10base-t sfp+ transceivers for a while. Most appear to be based on a Marvell chipset with a 30m rating and 2-3W power draw. This means they get very hot. Recently, I’ve noticed some manufacturers like FS and 10gtek offering 80m models based on what appears...