Recent content by moxford

1. M

ASUS WRX80 Workstation Motherboard for new AMD Threadripper Pro's - Memory Module DIMM Slot installation permutation.

The Lenovo P620s we ordered are all trainwrecks - stickers on lid didn't match silkscreening didn't match manuals, and they were not even consistent across the 6 we bought direct from them. Oh, and they fused the CPUs as well, and turned it on in the firmware, but their fuses were not even...
  2. M

STH Aeon Mining Pool Beta Access

@Patrick Related, or just using the same name for blockchain stuff? IBM, AEON to Build a Digital Currency-Friendly Blockchain Payments Rail for Asia -mox
  3. M

Rosewill 550w platinum psu $36

Interesting review summary here: [H]ardOCP: Rosewill Quark-550 550W Power Supply Review
  4. M

I'm going to play. It might not be much to start since I'm new at all of this, but if I'm going to learn it and benchmark things it may as well contribute to the pool! I will have some time on Sunday to poke around with it- I'll contribute what I can if that Docker is available.
  5. M

SmartOS under ESXi thoughts

Excellent information, thank you!!
  6. M

@Patrick As much as I would love to join this, I don't know that I have the pockets for it ... power costs in San Jose are atrocious. I will run some numbers and look into Aeon mining (CPU? GPU?) and figure out if I can come out and play ...
  7. M

SmartOS under ESXi thoughts

Hi all. Does anyone see an issue with running SmartOS under ESXi, with the ZFS iSCSI ported back to ESXi to store the other VMs? I want to stay with Solarish for a mature ZFS option, which limits my options to SmartOS/OI at this point in time. I've heard of other distros doing this via iSCSI...
  8. M

FS: 8GB 1600MHz & 16GB 1333MHz DDR3 dimms, Xeon E5-2637 v2 cpu, Dell M1000 chassis switches

I cannot find the difference ... What is the Q5 postfix? Thanks! -mox
  9. M

Monero Mining Performance

@RBE The server is sitting there sucking power anyways ... just wondering if I can make enough to offset the power costs, or if it is so inefficient that it wouldn't even do that. =)
  10. M

Where is the STH mining pool?

Inquiring minds want to know! =)
  11. M

Monero Mining Performance

As a newbie to all of this ... I have a older LGA1366 box that's my VM/storage machine and a couple X5680 (with AES-NI). It's a 4U SM846, double 1k PS and a bunch of PCI slots. Maybe do something CPU-based alongside something GPU based? This isn't going to compete anywhere near the new stuff...
  12. M

Older SM MB, H8DME-2 with SMBus connection ...

Heh, having zero luck finding the wire-part (Molex #22-43-3040) ... no one seems to have any lying around. =(
  13. M

Ah! Found it! Intelligent Platform Management Bus Description and Pinout The 846TQ and SM H8DME-2 SMBus are HDR1x4 IPMB TypeB Molex SPOX #22-44-7041 ! Shrouding and pinouts match ... happy day! Now to (try and) source the obsolete components and start building. Since the bus will handle 127...
  14. M

With 3-pin fans, they're either on or off and while you can see the speed (RPM) you cannot quiet them down. By going through the SMBus/I2C bus and plugging the fans into the backplane, I should be able to control the speed through software. As the drives get warmer I can spin the fans up more...
  15. M

Yep yep, you are totally correct. Unfortunately the fans on the motherboard are all 3pin, and I want to script up some dynamic RPM control through the I2C/SMBus interfaces based on drive/CPU temps, so I need to do a little custom work ... if I could find the darn header/connector type! Thank...