Recent content by mixer

1. M

LFF bays on HP DL20 Gen10

Hi .. I'm usually a white-box kind of guy but am considering recommending an HP Proliant DL20 Gen10 1U machine. We could get the base model which has 2 LFF (3.5") non-hot-swap drive bays. Will I be able to somehow stuff a Samsung 2.5" SATA 860 PRO drive in there, with at least a moderate level...
  2. M

pfsense problems

Did you set up the Gateway correctly in pfSense (look at the WAN config page). That has gotten me before.
  3. M

Safest Update Procedure?

I'll probably try 3.0.6 as I'm not that interested in the new Spotlight feature of the 3.1 branch. I guess it will be nice to merge Netatalk in with Samba, but obviously they still need to work out how to preserve the extended attributes of HFS+ on other file systems.
  4. M

Safest Update Procedure?

I can answer much of this for myself, but would appreciate guidance from the community! Taking a minute to look at http://www.napp-it.org/afp -- it is a perl script that installs Berkeley db and Netatalk. Since I have previously run this install script, I suppose I could quite easily do it...
  5. M

Safest Update Procedure?

Early indications are that the update(s) went fine. Question though - Netatalk was not updated, and I'm not quite sure what mechanism would update that (maybe using your perl magic it was installed from source???). I see at the Netatalk page there have been several point updates (3.0.x) and in...
  6. M

Safest Update Procedure?

It's yearly update time again... I'm currently running napp-it free appliance v 0.9a6 nightly Jan 30.2013 on oi_151a7. It is still recommended to update first OI to 151a8, then napp-it? Should I go to the d2 or e1 napp-it for this main OI system which is running a number of KVMs? Use update from...
  7. M

OI swap and dump sizing + napp-it show rpool?

I thought of a few other uses for my mirrored SSD rpool (no NOT l2arc or zil) and I'd like to be able to see it in napp-it. Is that so wrong? ;)
  8. M

I see -- so it's not napp-it that hides the rpool it's the OS. Makes sense I guess. Thanks Gea.
  9. M

Two for one here, slightly related: My rpool mirror is 60GB and my RAM is 32GB. How stingy can I safely be with sizing my SWAP and DUMP 'partitions'? I don't intend to get anywhere near filling the memory (except for what ARC does) and I don't think I'd know how to analyze a dump file if I...
  10. M

External USB drive as ZFS destination for backups

--- It has been working fine for me with a Hitachi Touro Desk DX3.
  11. M

restore using napp-it replication backups

I modified the replication job to point to the new server (different hostname and IP) of the target and ran the job -- it seems to have performed an incremental backup as I hoped it would!
  12. M

removing ESXi from the all-in-one

Here is a Geekbench performance comparison of a dual-core Xubuntu VM running in both ESXi 5.0 and in KVM on OI -- same hardware. Doing multiple runs of Geekbench scores vary a moderate amount, so the score difference shown is probably within the margin of error (but KVM wins!)...
  13. M

For example, after sending the most recent replicated snap back to the 'master' I have the dataset with only one snap on the master machine:reds/file-archives@1356821783_repli_zfs_OI-BU_nr_26 and all of the snaps from past replication on the backup machine, this being the most recent (the one I...
  14. M

napp-it replication extension questions

Ghandalf- I just tried to send a filesystem which had compression property gzip=9 to a another machine using: zfs send -v -p sourcepool/sourcedataset@snapshot | ssh othermachine zfs recv destpool/destdataset and the resulting dataset was created with compression=off. The compression property...
  15. M

Hello: I have used napp-it's replication extension to backup all the datasets on my main pool. Then I destroyed the main pool in order to change its configuration. Now I need to restore. I can figure out how to restore it manually using zfs send | recv of course, but I wonder if there's a...