Recent content by MikeChristie

1. M

Xeon D mostly fun with a bit of work build

Hi PigLover, I am recycling the drives, but the aim is to eventually go all 2.5" exactly as you suggest hence the 16 2.5" hotswap bays. As for the case, the S5 is a large Micro-ATX case, with a Flex-ATX board, so its not quite the mismatch, most cases I could find with enough 5.25" bays were ATX...
  2. M

Xeon D mostly fun with a bit of work build

Build’s Name: Don't tell the wife how much its going to cost! Operating System/ Storage Platform : TBD, leaning towards Debian/SnapRAID/MergerFS CPU:Xeon D-1518 or Xeon D-1537 Motherboard: Supermicro X10SDV-7TP4F Chassis: Caselab Mercury S5 Drives: 5 x 2Tb Seagate Barracuda LP, 2 x WD Red 3Tb +...
  3. M

What's your preferred thermal grease?

I like the Zalman stuff that comes in a little bottle like nail varnish complete with brush. Its great, very easy to spread a thin layer.
  4. M

Windows 2012 r2 installation issues

Are you installing the latest Intel RST driver when you install Windows?
  5. M

Upgrading Windows Home Server

1000W?!?! You'd power four of those servers and have room to spare on 1000W. Also, is a 10 year warranty on something that costs £100 really all that necessary? Another thing to consider is that on a system that's probably not going to be drawing much more than 100W (more if you get up to 20...
  6. M

Supermicro X9SCL-F any good?

I don't know how much you'd get for the board untested, but as you can pick up a Pentium G620 for about £12 and 2Gb sticks of DDR3 ECC unbuffered for about £6 each it might be worth testing the board and selling it bundled with the CPU and RAM, or just re-listing the CPU and RAM. If you were in...
  7. M

Supermicro Xeon D / FCBGA 1667 Heatsink information

Back in the day, one of my first forays into media PCs used an Asus N4L-VM DH motherboard with a Core2Duo mobile chip. The board had a custom heatsink included, which was rubbish. I ended up jury-rigging a solution using a Noctua chipset cooler. I'm wondering is something similar could be...
  8. M

Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

I've just read through about 40 pages of this thread. I'm very excited about the Xeon D boards to replace my i5-2405S based home server. My home server is running mostly NAS and Plex duties, but also going to be playing with Hyper-V or VMWare. I've run Openmediavault for NAS and Plex duties up...