Recent content by Mashie

1. M

Strange MDADM RAID 6 behaviour

I am the OP and the MDADM issues are resolved for me so no problems discussing alternatives from now on.
  2. M

Can you expand volumes in ZFS with random number of disks yet or do you still need to add full vdevs?
  3. M

Glad to hear things have improved. It was an update for MDADM to improve the performance in one of the recent kernel versions (which accidentally fixed the freezing bug).
  4. M

That is indeed one of the kernel versions that caused this problem for me. I'm now on 22.04.01 LTS and the stock kernel is working fine with MDADM.
  5. M

It was always the first write to the array after reboot that got stuck for up to 10 minutes. After that it would behave until next reboot.
  6. M

The only thing to change in my system between today and the last reboot a week ago is that the kernel went from 5.11 to 5.13. 5.13 had work done to the mdadm implementation so whatever they did fixed this by accident.
  7. M

Just to give an update on this, today kernel 5.13.0-25 was pushed out to this system and the issue is finally gone. :D
  8. M

What is the easiest way to disable Thunar?
  9. M

Hi @UhClem I didn't see you had replied here, I guess the email notification was lost in the ether. That command will happily trigger the stalling. mashie@IONE:~$ dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/storage/60MBzero bs=12M count=5 oflag=direct 5+0 records in 5+0 records out 62914560 bytes (63 MB, 60 MiB)...
  10. M

I grew successfully from 10 -> 12 and expanded the file system which took quite a while. At this stage the stall would still happen after reboot, something had changed though as it no longer did the heavy reading/seeking on just 5 specific drives, it was now doing reading of all 12 drives and...
  11. M

Thanks, any info about MDADM issues is welcome. I'm already on workstation hardware (E5-1650 v3 Xeon, ECC RAM and LSI 3905-24i controller).
  12. M

And off we go, the reshaping should be done by Sunday evening at the current speed: mashie@IONE:~$ sudo mdadm /dev/md0 --add /dev/sdh1 mdadm: added /dev/sdh1 mashie@IONE:~$ sudo mdadm /dev/md0 --add /dev/sdk1 mdadm: added /dev/sdk1 mashie@IONE:~$ sudo mdadm --detail /dev/md0 /dev/md0...
  13. M

This worked perfectly fine to trigger the stall with.
  14. M

I originally had the array use the on-board SATA controllers and moving to the LSI 3905 was one attempt to rule the motherboard out. I don't have a spare motherboard/cpu to try with. The most important bits I have on Google Drive already so if the rest is lost it is mainly a massive inconvenience.
  15. M

E4defrag started to speed up with many files tankfully not fragmented, it just finished: Success: [ 22324/24054 ] Failure: [ 1730/24054 ] Total extents: 256096->242202 Fragmented percentage: 26%->22% And it made no difference at all as...