Recent content by markarr

1. markarr

[FreeNAS] 2 different disks sets 1 pool?

So if you were to loose one vDev yes the whole pool will become unavailable, and you will have data loss. This is why even though it is "wasteful" people were suggesting raidz2.
  2. markarr

You would create a pool with one set of disks and then once that is created then you will expand that pool and that will allow you to make another vDev.
  3. markarr

What are you backing up from?
  4. markarr

You can have drives of different sizes in zpools. The stipulations are that you have to add the same type of zfs and same size. So if you create a 7 disk raidz1 you can expand the pool by another 7 disk raidz1, not an 8 disk raidz1. IIRC you can not shrink a zpool.
  5. markarr

Storage Server w/Mergerfs + Snapraid + Proxmox + ZFS??

Looks like if you exclude your disks from lvm, pvestatd does not scan those. So you should be able to spin down drives in proxmox that way.
  6. markarr

I dont sleep the drives. I have gone back and forth on that but most of my drives are from older enterprise storage so the power on hours were high when I got them so didnt want to take a chance of the spin cycles taking them out.
  7. markarr

I have only added: docker, snapraid, megerfs, and msmtp. So my installs are limited on the base os. Proxmox has built in data collector that i send to a grafana LXC, I have also tweaked the unraid Plex grafana dashboard to work with my plex lxc. The one thing I dont know that you have with your...
  8. markarr

Any reason you dont want to use proxmox as the base? It does zfs (w/e disks you want) boot out of the box with no fuss. Have your rootfs and your 10 disk pools for vms and LXC, for docker install on the base install or put it in a lxc or vm. I am currently running all of of the above. I have...
  9. markarr

Proxmox 6.2 released

If you asking if you can access the web gui from the proxmox box itself then you are correct you need a second computer as there is no gui install with proxmox. It is debain so in theory you could install a gui and manage it from itself but not a great practice.
  10. markarr

Proxmox 6.2 released

No you install proxmox and then go to https://ipofhost:8006 and you will have a management gui.
  11. markarr

2002 power on hours, 112mb written

Sounds like there were hot spares. The arrays i work with have a pool of drives set aside for hot spares, so technicians make fewer trips to replace drives.
  12. markarr

36 bay 4U Server Storage Chassis

The fans are not controlled by the mb they plug into the expander board so thermals dont mean much and they just spin at pretty high rpm. You could move the connection to the mb and it will quite it down a bit.
  13. markarr

Reclaimed 10TB SAS 4Kn Enterprise hard drives - $145

Here is another, looks like 4+ its 139 maybe lower with offer option. Seems like 10TB sas you can get to $14/TB or lower. HGST Ultrastar He10 0F27438 HUH721010AL4204 10TB 3.5 7.2K RPM SAS 12Gb/s 4Kn HDD | eBay
  14. markarr

(US-Dallas TX) Dell C1100 lots of 5

No built in raid. uses the built in sata ports of the pch on the board.
  15. markarr

(US-Dallas TX) Dell C1100 lots of 5

They are fairly standard 1u LGA1366 servers. They will be similar to the c6100 in terms of bios and ipmi.