Recent content by marelooke

1. M

Sudden SAS SSD death - looking for understanding

Nearly a month as L2ARC use on one of them and it's still going strong. So it would seem likely that it is the SMART selftests can brick these.
  2. M

Disabled SMART on these and they've been fine so far. Though haven't dared use them. I'll add them as a L2ARC for a while and see how that goes...
  3. M

Should be in the SMART output posted in my OP, if those are not the numbers you're looking for I'm afraid I got nothing else at this point. There might be more to be found if I open up the drive, but I'm not willing to do that quite up yet until I'm sure the two new ones either pass, or fail, as...
  4. M

The vendor sent me new ones, same model, that I've plugged in (no reformatting to 512Byte sectors, nor any use, just pure "power on"-time) to see what they'll do, so far the "oldest" of the two has made it to: Accumulated power on time, hours:minutes 37098:25 without spitting out errors in...
  5. M

Just checked and the second one sits at Accumulated power on time, hours:minutes 36722:59 So they likely failed at exactly the same time. The famous "sudden death" cases that got a lot of attention mentioned 32,768 and 40k hours of power on time, as well as those being Western Digital/SanDisk...
  6. M

Hi all, I bought a couple of second hand Dell EMC SAS SSDs. The Dell model No is V4-2S6F-100, but the underlying devices are Samsung (SMART output at bottom of post). According to the SMART data both of them had ample life left with one having a "percentage endurance used count" of 8% and the...
  7. M

QSFP Cables - same for Ethernet and Infiniband?

Does it follow that an optical transceiver module that only lists Ethernet support should work for Infiniband, and vice-versa? Eg. should a 40GBASE-SR4 module work for both 40Gbit Ethernet as well as QDR Infiniband, regardless of what is listed as supported protocols?
  8. M

WD Red & avoiding the SMR pitfall

Best PR Seagate (and Toshiba) could have possibly hoped for. They should send Western Digital a "Thank you" card.
  9. M

Supermicro X9SRL-F does not boot

Hi all, just a quick update. The v1 CPU arrived today and I now was able to successfully upgrade the BIOS to the latest version, the "classic" way using a DOS boot medium. IPMI BIOS upgrade still refused to work with the same "BOARD ID mismatch" error. Maybe now it has reset all those IDs and...
  10. M

Threw in an external video card and disabled onboard VGA with no effect, no change whether IPMI was enabled or disabled. Alas. Expecting the v1 CPU at the earliest on Friday (and given the current state of the world, no weekend deliveries, so worst case somewhere next week...) No, attaching...
  11. M

Thank you, I just gave that a try. At first nothing appeared to have changed, then I got the idea to remove the RAM once more and now I get a single beep at startup, which according to the manual means "Circuits have been reset. (Ready to power up)". Nothing further though, unfortunately (not...
  12. M

I tried switching the battery with a new one, to no avail, unfortunately. To make sure the new battery also wasn't faulty I checked both old and new with a multimeter and they both measure 3V (old one exactly 3.0V, new one 3.1V).
  13. M

Hi all, I acquired a system with an X9SRL-F motherboard in it, and I'm trying to get it to boot with a Xeon E5-2680 v2 (which might be unsupported as I suspect the BIOS is too old) Out of the gate the board gives me nothing, no beeps, nothing in the IPMI event log (well, nothing related to...