Recent content by MarcoP82

1. M

Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Yesterday my device died. I investigated why it idled at 54°C and I was expecting bad contact or bad thermal paste application. Apparently it was three thick layers of thermal paste: one on the aluminium cover, one on the copper block and one on a thin copper shim. After cleaning and applying...
  2. M

Open Network switches for home use?

Sorry, can't help you more as I'm not experienced with either. I just tried looking at solutions you might have missed.
  3. M

Open Network switches for home use?

The cheapest I know are the Dell S4112F-ON and S4112T-ON, 12-port 10Gbit with three 100Gbit ports. These can be had for a few thousand dollar second-hand. There is also the Dell N1108T-ON which is 1Gbit only, but can be acquired cheaply.
  4. M

Marvell Octeon 10 Gets Wild at OCP Summit 2022

I'm confused, I thought DPUs were developed to split the host server's hardware and resources from the Hypervisor kernel to improve performance, security and manageability. In the sense that ESXi would be installed on the DPU with its own CPU and RAM for the hypervisor kernel, while allowing...
  5. M

Short rack build for BranchCache in our branch offices

Thanks for the suggestion, that's a very interesting case ! Though in my region (EU) these seem to be hard to come by, I only see an email address from the regional office. I'll inquire about these. I'll not be needing a full IPMI solution but something to restart the device when the OS is not...
  6. M

Any other suggestions ? I'm thinking about something from Project MiniMicro that I can rackmount with ports front-facing.
  7. M

That's going to be a problem in some of the racks on our branch offices regretably :(
  8. M

I considered these but they have rear I/O which is a huge problem in single sided network closets.
  9. M

I'm looking at assembling half a dozen systems for our branch offices to speed up logon/logoff and file access in our Windows domain. Specifically these should fit typical network rack closets so front I/O, short depth and low heat output are crucial. What I've read a BranchCache server is...
  10. M

I have Tesla T4 cards and I don't know what to do with them

@Layla I'm not looking the sell them here or online though.
  11. M

I'm trying to figure out how to do that while being efficient, safe and legal. That's the challenge and it's costing me a lot of time just to figure out. I can't figure out how to sell these at all even well below the market value but without being scammed, having to give warranty (I cannot)...
  12. M

Sorry for the clickbaity title, I'll explain. Somehow we have a few Tesla T4 cards for a while that are collecting dust because these were included in some servers while we didn't order or pay these. We don't have any use case for them realistically as the only use case we could figure out...
  13. M

Flashing HP H220 SAS card to latest FW

EDIT: got it working, found the P14 version of the SAS2FLASH.EFI with Slovak's post on the first page ! I remember seeing it earlier but somehow missed it when I needed it. EDIT2: apparently this is a 9205-8i card instead of a 9207-8i card. Strange, I thought the HP H220 D1 cards were all...
  14. M

[EU] Looking for cheap SFP+ switches and QSFP+ backbone switch

I found some switches that will also suffice: Dell PowerConnect 5524 (link) as next to the two SFP+ 10Gb ports, it also has a 40Gb stacking feature through HDMI. These were around 110€ each and with 3 I expect to be able to keep bottlenecks to a minimum.
  15. M

[EU] Looking for cheap SFP+ switches and QSFP+ backbone switch

The Juniper EX4300 are also quite expensive in the EU, the cheapest is aroung 700€ :( I see what you guys mean, I'll forget about the 40Gbit connection. Although our LAN has had quite some bandwidth throughput usage during peak hours, our multiple 1G links have been a bottleneck a few times...