Recent content by Marco

1. M

Intel Standard Management (ISM) instead of Active Management (AMT)

By the way: [Help please] Dell Optiplex 7090 - Enabling Intel ME
  2. M

Intel Standard Management (ISM) instead of Active Management (AMT)

I think it's the way the BIOS Flash has been programmed, the two machines should be identical HW wise, I don't think there is anything fused in the silicon. Conceptually it should be simple, just dump with a flash programmer the image of the BIOS from the two machines and compare them for the ME...
  3. M

Supermicro A2SDi-8C+-HLN4F - IPMI and Fan Control

This is likely the problem, as the 30% is probably too close to the threshold for the fan to stop. Can you change that setting? If so how? Otherwise you could consider buying the Noctua Fan Controller (NA-FC1) and use the "No stop" mode.
  4. M

Atom C3000 power consumption

Thank you! I would be nice to see other reports for the the 8 cores models, especially the A2SDV-8C-TLN5F.
  5. M

Atom C3000 power consumption

Hi all, I'm interested in seeing some power consumption figures for the new Atom based Supermicro boards. I've been told that even the A2SDV series should now be generally available, is there anyone owning any of these boards by chance willing to share some power consumption measurements...
  6. M

Cheap 1U PCIe M.2 Riser - why don't they exist?

So no way to get it shipped to Europe? Did you manage to check if the SMBus pins are connected? Thanks!
  7. M

Home Lab: 10G SFP+ vs 10G Base-T in 2017 Q3

No you're constantly talking about random stuff, not surprisingly without elaborating (and I challenge you to do so...), that you barely understand and is not at all related to SFP. Contention has nothing to do with cache size, cache thrashing is not caused by threading and depends on the...
  8. M

A thread itself consumes negligible amount of memory both in kernel and user space. I've never claimed that SFP+ doesn't provide lower latency nor that is not there measurable or beneficial, but that's all it does. It doesn't change software design, it doesn't solve the hunger in the world and...
  9. M

Blocking time is idle time while having many threads isn't a problem either: creating them might rather be, but it has nothing to do with IO waiting or SFP+. The application should probably redesigned anyway. Wrong assumptions, wrong conclusions.
  10. M

It all comes down to: your definition of HomeLab whether servers and clients can be co-located your pre-existing cabling Most of the people have 1/2 server(s), a few remote clients and UTP already in place, no way SFP+ is viable. It doesn't matter how good it is, many people need to reuse...
  11. M

X10SDV (mini & flex Atx), PCIe x4x4 bifurcation?

Hi all, I might be interested in using this dual M.2 adaptor paired with a Xeon D board. However it requires bifurcation support, x4x4x4x4 (or x4x4x8) for the Mini-ITX or x4x4 for the Flex-ATX. The adaptor is listed as tested for the Flex-ATX (with an obscure "requires BIOS support", which...
  12. M

Supermicro A2SDi (Atom C3000) NAS and virtualization server

Yes roughly. It largely depends on the workload but it looks like a Broadwell can be almost twice as fast, so in many cases the different Xeon D and C3000 SKUs are comparable after performing the appropriate core translation (ignoring HT). For more simple "streaming" usage, that is, network or...
  13. M

Supermicro A2SDi (Atom C3000) NAS and virtualization server

Hi Patrick, I'm trying to get a better picture of the power consumption figures for Denverton and I'm a bit surprised by the "single thread" test when compared with the X10SDV-2-TLN2F, actually consuming less (well, it should be compared against A2SDi-4C-HLN4F, but it's not available yet). My...
  14. M

Intel Avoton C2750 Benchmarks - Supermicro A1SAi-2750F

No offense man, and sorry for being rough, but nobody needs your (meaningless and useless [1]) data to discover something obvious and well known since many years (see Linux NAPI, hw interrupt moderation, polling based software routers, etc.), especially to people like me that design routers...