Recent content by Malvineous

1. M

Unable to post comments on main page articles

Well whatever the problem was it seems to be fixed now. I was able to post my original comment on the original article, albeit four months late!
  2. M

Unable to post comments on main page articles

I'm having the same problem. When I click to post a comment the browser does a POST to https://www.servethehome.com/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?td_theme_name=Newspaper&v=12.6 with "action" set to "td_ajax_submit_captcha" and a lengthy "token" value, but although the response is a 200 OK, it only...
  3. M

Ethernet SSDs – Hands-on with the Kioxia EM6 NVMeoF SSD

Could someone explain what is meant by this section? A namespace is like a partition at the hardware level, so if you set up a 100GB namespace across 23 drives, is it saying you would then have 23x 3.74 TB drives plus 23x 100GB drives, which you could use to store parity data with some kind of...
  4. M

Comments wiped on posts when page reloads

Those forum threads are different to the ones on the site. For example the latest thread has no messages but there are two comments on the article if you visit the site. However it looks like this issue has since been addressed, as now when the page reloads it keeps your message intact, so...
  5. M

Dammit I just had another comment wiped out half way though because I forgot about the reload thing. Lesson learned, never bother writing a comment on the main article unless it's the length of a tweet! I had a look on the forum but I can't find where the same messages appear as on the main...
  6. M

I just started writing a comment in reply to a review on the main site, and had to go away for a moment, and when I came back the page had reloaded and my partial comment had been wiped. I'm not sure why the pages randomly reload but I wonder if there's a way to switch it off? Sometimes I like...
  7. M

Hardware Failures in 2022 - Post yours!

Do old servers count? I had a Dell R720 power supply fail last week. There was a 'pop', followed a minute later by the smell of burning plastic, and then another minute later by smoke coming out the back. Unfortunately the iDRAC on the machine had long since crashed and I hadn't had a chance...
  8. M

[SOLVED] RSS feeds broken - extra blank line at start

Hi all, I tried to add the RSS feed http://feeds.feedburner.com/servethehome to my newsreader as found in the footer of the site pages, but it tells me the XML is invalid. I tried passing the content through to xmllint and it says: $ curl http://feeds.feedburner.com/servethehome | xmllint...
  9. M

JBOD adventures with Dell PERC H710P Mini (LSI 2208)

Just had another go at this. Dell don't seem to have released any Dell-branded adapters based on the SAS2308 chipset so unfortunately there isn't anything there to flash. I tried flashing the H700 (SAS2108) firmware and the H730 (SAS3108) but even the recovery tool refused to flash them saying...
  10. M

Haha I did do some Googling before replying but all I could find are the same links you posted. I'm reasonably sure those ones won't work, because the 9217-8i and similar are all LSI model numbers, so they would be firmwares for LSI cards that have been bundled with Dell hardware. The actual...
  11. M

Hmm, very interesting. It seems the Dell branded 2208 cards are not compatible with the LSI ones. One of the many differences seems to be that the SAS BIOS is part of the main system BIOS in a Dell, while with the other cards it's part of the option ROM on the card itself. I am assuming this...
  12. M

Hi all, I've recently gotten hold of a Dell PowerEdge R720 with a PERC H710P Mini controller. Wanting to try out ZFS I had hoped to make the individual drives available to the host (as JBOD/passthrough drives) but sadly the Dell firmware does not support JBOD for this controller. Other cards...