Recent content by maia

1. maia

Noctua case fans on Xeon-SP Tower Server

OK. Will do! My chassis also has room for two 80mm side-blowing fans to HDDs, but at the moment I'll avoid those if at all possible.
  2. maia

Many thanks for the input @K D, My chassis only came with a rear (rubbish) 120mm molex fan. I was looking to exchange that rear fan and build a 2 or 3-array of 120mm fans in the middle part of the case. I think I'll go ahead and see what temps I get with my run-of-the-mill fans and go from...
  3. maia

Home Server Build - AMD EPYC

What an epic build! The motherboard in particular, looks awesome for a UP with all those RAM slots... But they would get in the way if you need to populate both RAM and PCIe with HBAs or graphics cards... Please do share more pics when available.
  4. maia

It's not @alex_stief . Still, quiet operation and lower power consumption is better in my book. Some swear by the iPPC3000 as they throttle down and can be very efficient, other models (standard and redux) go under 500 rpm and have low noise at the expense of air throughput and dealing with ipmi...
  5. maia

OK, to answer my own thread... I noticed that most Noctua's idle under 500 rpm (as @alex_stief mentioned). Only the Industrial 3000 PWM is around 750 rpm, which I believe is lower still than the (supposedly) 900 rpm lower limit configured on Supermicro motherboards. So, should one go all out...
  6. maia

This is for a X11SPL-F (which I already have). I know fiddling with thresholds should be easy, but I don't think there's any need for that. It should just "work". So, are you suggesting the Redux line is out of question? Would I be better off with the Industrial line? Or Chomax?
  7. maia

Hello all! I know this has been talked a number of times but I'd like a concise answer if at all possible. I'm building a Supermicro-based Xeon Scalable home server and need PWM case fans (not in a Supermicro chassis). A build-log with pictures will be posted later. I'd prefer not to have to...
  8. maia

ESXi 6.5 and C621 chipset - ethernet not supported?

I'd like to know this also (just got a X11SPL-F, waiting on RAM).
  9. maia

RAM Check on Xeon Silver Build

FYI, I've just received this email from Noctua Support: "I'm afraid at this point in time we do not have any coolers for this platform. However we're still working on it and we hope to release something next year."
  10. maia

RAM Check on Xeon Silver Build

Sorry to somewhat hijack the thread, but regarding socket 3647 HSFs: What about the Dynatron B11 for a tower/5U chassis? (in a X11SPL-F) Does anyone have any experience? Would it be better than both the Supermicro SNK-P0070APS4 and Dynatron B5? EDIT: Also, I've emailed Noctua as their solution...