Recent content by Magebarf

1. M

MTU on affordable SFP+ to RJ45 modules

Saw in MikroTiks newsletter that they've made a rev2 of the S+RJ10 which has fixed support for jumbo frames up to 10218 bytes, and some more improvements.
  2. M

Second hand NICs and legitimacy (when to look out for clones?)

I can follow up that I've reached out to Intel, Mellanox and Chelsio to ask if they have any pointers on how to navigate the second hand markets, and if there's anything good to think about (like licensed features that could/need to be transferred etc.) when buying a used NIC. Initial note is...
  3. M

CRS309-1G-8S+PC - release date?

There were some recent discussions about the CRS models in general, when going down in speeds. Quite a bit of issues when using 1Gbit/s SFP modules in the SFP+ cages, which in some cases seemed to end up with the Mikortik SFP modules being the main issue. As for the RJ45/1GbE on at least the...
  4. M

Clearing out Lab. HDDs, NICs, SO-DIMMs

Thank goodness! Someone sparing my poor wallet from the pain! :D I believe they'll be easy to move, but in case you feel you want to get rid of them you can just PM, and I'll see if my wallet has recovered from my recent NIC purchases. I'm mainly interested in the X540 and the ConnectX-4 Lx.
  5. M

Clearing out Lab. HDDs, NICs, SO-DIMMs

International shipping a possibility? I shouldn't be buying more NICs, but it's oh so tempting! :)
  6. M

Second hand NICs and legitimacy (when to look out for clones?)

I recently started a project where I need to grab a hold of a solid NIC (10GbE, 2 slot, SFP+ or RJ-45), which of course snowballed into me acquiring a set of different NICs on ebay as the prices was "too good to be true". While waiting on deliveries, I thought I'd see if the collective knowledge...
  7. M

do you guys really run memtest86+ to 100% when bulk testing DIMMs?

Slightly more varied on my end; Some experiences (I'd say 2-3 modules) where computer did not even reach BIOS, leading to LED or beep codes to decode the source as memory errors. I do not think I've caught/noticed any errors during POST itself. With Memtest86, I've had 5-6 modules giving...
  8. M

From my experiences, purely anecdotal, the errors that show up can sometimes be quite systematic, and I've had some DIMMMs showing constant failures on on one of the lasts tests in Memtest, with nothing showing on any of the tests before that. I guess what you really want to achieve is to try...
  9. M

Have you ever experienced bad memories in a computer, any computer? If you're lucky, you get the apparent issues where it's clear something's wrong, and memory is the likely culprit. The nightmare is if you're struck with memory that only shows transient errors, and you never really can...
  10. M

Hmm, haven't considered that part before, but does both the NIC as well as the SFP module itself have buffers, or does the SFP module rely on what buffer the MAC Layer provides? Configuration wise you'd set the Jumbo frames on the NIC level, but I'm unsure if that is a boiled down aggregate...
  11. M

What size of jumbo frames on the ENET model, any idea? All other devices I have that are capable of 10GBASE-T or NBASE-T are 16K, but I don't know if that's been more standardized than with the 1000BASE-T?
  12. M

Looking for recommendations: QUAD WAN router?

I think the tips already given are the best in case you have the time and patience. I'm assuming that the limited budget will be steering the choice, but if there's some wiggle room, I'd give a heads up for Mushroom Networks, that has based their entire business on bonding routers; SD WAN |...
  13. M

Best Media Converter, 10GB

Heat wise the unit is warm to the touch, a few degrees above body temperature, just now. As this is used in a residential setting I guess you can hardly claim I'm pushing the capabilities of the device at the moment, especially as it's just running the NBASE-T port at 1gbit/s to my Edgerouter...
  14. M

literally a plank of wood touch panel

Seen something similar recently, but that only explains how the touch part is done; Touch Surface from Loxone As for how the visual feedback is done, no better guess than @Pri has done...
  15. M

Best Media Converter, 10GB

I believe the best option has been covered here already, getting a RJ45 SFP+ module, unless you actually need some distance not supported. In case you do need to have an actual standalone device for doing the conversion, my ISP has been providing Planet XT-705A for their 10Gbit/s customers...