Recent content by LFletcher

1. L

Fusion-io ioDrive 2 1.2TB Reference Page

I purchased a Fusion-IO ioScale2 1.65TB from eBay a few weeks ago. The fan on the board is quite loud and whiny. Has anyone replaced the fan on one of these boards or found a way to adjust it's use when not required?
  2. L

Could a power outage damage my motherboard or case?

Thanks for the replies. So I had a look behind the rack and one of the 1U PDU's has surge protection built in, and all of of them are plugged into a surge protected extension strip. One or more UPS's have been on the plan for the last few years, so it's time I pulled my finger out and...
  3. L

Could a power outage damage my motherboard or case?

I believe I may have had a power outage the other day and ever since then my Supermicro motherboard and case have been acting strange. On this machine I am running unRAID and when I got home the other evening all the drives attached to the SAS connector (flashed to IT mode) on my SM motherboard...
  4. L

Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Might be worth sending another email. Bought quite a few things off them in the past without issue and they have always responded to mails quite promptly.
  5. L

Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Yes the do. Shipped 2 x 2670 to me (in the UK) the other week for $42. Just email them and they will give you a price.
  6. L

43" 4K Ultra HD TV as a monitor v. 2x HP ZR30w 30" monitors

This is what I'm using as my pc monitor, Samsung UE48JU7000 4K TV Review The Samsung's make very good monitors. I believe the US model is the JU7100. Lots of info on the various models over at hardforum, New Samsung 4k for everyone. - [H]ard|Forum And a setup guide, 2015 Samsung 4k TV as a...
  7. L

Seagate 5TB External HDD USB 3.0 (STDT5000100) - $167.99

Anyone know what drives are in these?
  8. L

POST and BIOS show different value for installed RAM

Hi, Just built a new system with a Supermicro X8DTE-F motherboard, but the RAM is showing up strangely. In the BIOS it shows only 32GB installed, but on the POST screen it shows 64GB (the correct figure). It's 4 sticks of registered ECC on the approved SM list (MEM-DR316L-HL02-ER10) and...
  9. L

VM Storage - SAS, SATA or SSD?

Thanks for all the info. The VM's are currently small, < 100GB each. Any (consumer) SSD's better than others for running VM's? I have a Samsung 830 and a couple of Crucial M4's lying around which I could use. Funny you should mention replica as I was having a look at that the other day and...
  10. L

SAS drives are an option. I don't have any currently just SATA and some SSD's.
  11. L

Thanks for the responses. For reference this would be Hyper-V on Server 2012. I could split the VM onto different arrays/luns. I have up to 8-12 disks to play with in total depending on which case I put them in. So assuming splitting the VM's is a good idea, for the one(s) which write 20GB...
  12. L

I'm in the process of moving my VM's to a new server so have the opportunity to setup the storage optimally. Currently I have 7-8 VM's running off of 3 SATA drives in RAID5 - I'm aware this is not optimal for IO performance. One of the VM's might write up to 20-30GB a day, but the rest...
  13. L

The L5639 flood is upon us $135 and tons for little more.

Being in the UK, shipping tends to get rather expensive for the barebones servers. Managed to find a cheapish Supermicro X8DAI motherboard and 64GB of RAM, so have ordered a pair of the L5639 CPU's from the US. Finished crossed it all plays nicely together.
  14. L

The L5639 flood is upon us $135 and tons for little more.

I'd been keen to know the answer to this also if anyone has any recommendations.
  15. L

Areca 1882 RAID5 Volume Issue - Help

Thanks, the chap over on the R-Studio forum also confirmed this. Areca support finally replied to me (after 5 days) and told me to remove the other drives (already done) and then just activate the incomplete RAID Set. This bought it online and allowed me to access the data, which was swiftly...