Recent content by levak

1. L

Vmware ESXi or XenServer

I think I finally made my decision. I was trying out FreeNAS for the last month and it worked out great. Jails are nice, but they are FreeBSD jails. There is no support for Linux jails anymore and virtualization is only available in FreeBSD 10 (and not sure how stable it is), so FreeNAS was not...
  2. L

Vmware ESXi or XenServer

Thanks everyone for your help. I will do some thinking and decide what i need. As far as i was thinking, i might get through with freenas+jails. That will be the easiest solution with easy maintenanace
  3. L

Vmware ESXi or XenServer

I will give Proxmox a try and evaluate. Last time I tried it I wasnt that impressed, but that was a few years ago:) Matej
  4. L

Vmware ESXi or XenServer

Hello, I'm in a process of converting my fileserver to a AIO server. My board/cpu supports IOMMU, so I will be able to pass HBA to a guest system, but I'm not sure which way to go. Vmware ESXi is a proven thing and works and is mainly click-click and IO passthrough works like a charm. But as...
  5. L

SAS drives with high ECC corrected errors

I heard back from Seagate. They are saying that this is a normal value for hard drives and that Seagate drives report raw error values, not filtered or rate, like other manufacturers... I got a green light from them and we can proceed with the setup. Matej
  6. L

There are no errors on the system... I have both, SAS2(ST4000NM0023) and SAS3(ST4000NM0034) drives, and they all produce the same amount of errors. I will try to get a newer firmware and I hope I get the new LSI SAS9300 HBA. Matej
  7. L

Today I tested the same drive in 3 different JBODs with 2 different servers and 3 different controllers (but all same brand/model/firmware). I remembered I also have a brand new IBM server in the rack with 3.5" hard drives. I plugged my Seagate in and powered on. When system booted, I did some...
  8. L

Yea, this report is for SATA drives. I don't know if it's relevant for SAS drives, since they report different SMART counters. I guess I will have to check with Seagate as well. Matej
  9. L

Today a got a new batch of hard drives, this time a Seagate ST4000NM0023. Same problems! As soon as I start reading from drives, counter goes crazy. No problems with writing. Actually, only inserting a brand new hard drive into the hot-swap slot and running smartctl already gives me cca 6000...
  10. L

It looks like ST4000NM0034 is not playing well with the backplane of the JBOD. They will replace all drives with SAS2 model and that should fix the issue. Too bad I don't have any other SAS3 drives to test (from other manufacturer), but SAS2 HGST is working like a charm. Matej
  11. L

I used P18 and P19. I contacted my reseller and he is working this out with supermirco. I'm wondering what the outcome will be.
  12. L

ZeusRAM

OMG, I was writing as a total noob:) I updated my post with all the necessary data. If I forgot something, please let me know. I will talk to my boss if I can start a new thread about the HA setup I'm building. Matej
  13. L

ZeusRAM

I did some tests with FIO tool and here is a little spreadsheet with the results: All this was running on the following hardware: * Server: IBM xServer 3550 M4 2x Xeon E5-2640 265GB Memory LSI 9207-8e HBA card with P19 firmware * JBOD: Supermicro SC837E26-RJBOD1 with SAS2 backplane...
  14. L

ZeusRAM

I can't say how much I paid, but they weren't cheap:) On the other hand, I'm from EU, so prices here are way higher that in US? As for configuration, I'm not sure, we have a few up out sleeves(1 pool with RAID10 ZIL, 2 pools with RAID1 ZIL,...). I have to do some testing this week. Matej
  15. L

ZeusRAM

They will be used in a project as a ZIL. I will build my pools next week, I hope for some good performance[emoji3]