Recent content by legen

1. legen

EU WTB small enterprise SSDs [Completed]

I got great deal from user nrtnio here. Can recommend!
  2. legen

EU WTB small enterprise SSDs [Completed]

Hello. Thought id ask here if anyone has some smaller-size enterprise SSDs with power loss protection to sell. To be used for a home-lab proxmox server ZFS VM-datastore. Looking for: 2 SSDs Size between 400 and 960 GB 2.5'' SATA For example the Intel DC S4500, S3700 etc. Thanks!
  3. legen

Advice on small home-server upgrade

Shame that the used E5 motherboards are so expensive. I need to sit down and digest/research the information you all have provided. Thanks for the replies and the different ways i could go forward!
  4. legen

Thanks for the reply, Price? (do you have a budget you would like to stick with? how are you with buying used hardware?) No set budget but i am looking at used hardware that is a couple of generations old to keep the price down. I read this thread...
  5. legen

Hello! I have outgrown my small home-lab server and looking for a good bang for the buck upgrade. The current server is a X10SLH-F-O with 16GB ram and a E3-1271 v3. Been optimizing this thing for years pushing in more and more VMs, LXCs, dockers etc but now i have finally reached its limits...
  6. legen

Notch on sff-8088 cable connector?

I used a small hacksaw to remove it. Went pretty easy.
  7. legen

An update. I removed the notch from the cable and it works in the sff-8088 to sff-8087 adapter. All disks detected and run fine.
  8. legen

Correct its not defective. You learn something new every day (now i know there are active cables with a notch). The seller used a picture for the auction showing a passive cable. I am in contact with the seller to return the item!
  9. legen

I managed to find a thread asking the same question. Mini-SAS Connector Issue It appears I have gotten an active cable. Unclear if I can simply remove the notch.
  10. legen

I bought a sff-8088 to sff-8644 on ebay. When trying to plug it in the 8088 part of the cable has a metal pin blocking its incertion in the socket (see picture). Any one know what this metal pin is and why it's there? Should I try to remove it so I can use the cable? This should be the cable...
  11. legen

EU Rackable NM46X 12-LFF chassis 60€ BO

To be honest the cost of parts and time put into this was more than i had anticipated. I decided to build on this chassi since i did only have a half-rack requiring front mounting. However about one month after i finished the chassi i got my hand on a real 19'' 18U rack. If i would have known...
  12. legen

Yes I have powered up the system with a hdd. It spin up correctly. I have not connected it to a HBA yet due to missing cable. I made a cable between psu, backplane and fan controller. Since hdd does spinup and fans work I'm pretty sure the pin layout is correct :)
  13. legen

I was looking for a short-depth 12 bay chassi so i bought one of these units to convert into a DAS. It took some work to cut out the metal to fit the PSU and the SFF-8088 to SFF-8087 apdapters. I replaced the PSU with the Corsair SF450 V2 450W. It fits perfectly and is really silent. The 12V...
  14. legen

LSI 9206-16e reading temp in linux?

I think I may have found the answer. MegaCLI/StorCli requires the IR-firmware i.e. a "raid card". After flashing to IT and making it a HBA these tools no longer work. I think the IT-firmware also lacks functions to read the actual temperature. Sas2ircu can be used to query the IT-firmware but...
  15. legen

LSI 9206-16e reading temp in linux?

I did try storecli now but it does not detect my controller. root@blue:/opt/MegaRAID/storcli# ./storcli64 show CLI Version = 007.1316.0000.0000 Mar 12, 2020 Operating system = Linux 5.4.41-1-pve Status Code = 0 Status = Success Description = None Number of Controllers = 0 Host Name = blue...