Recent content by lbjm

1. L

LSI 9305-16i hba, how to spin down and up a hard drive?

Thank you both for the replies. There looks to be a hdparm for windows and I'll check that out. hdparm can't see beyond /dev/hde and same goes for /dev/sde. Better to just use a different controller. Thanks again.
  2. L

LSI 9305-16i hba, how to spin down and up a hard drive?

I am using a Broadcom/Avago/LSI 9305-16i that I want to connect drives to and backup data from my raid arrays on other controllers. It is really hard to find the commands in storcli that the hba can use. I read many links online including this one...
  3. L

NVMe - make the most of your PCI-e Slots (How-to config Supermicro boards for AOC-SLG3-2E4T et al)

Has any tried the the supermicro nvme cards in non supermicro motherboards? Namely the AOC-SLG3-2E4T or the Supermicro AOC-SLG3-2E4. I want to add Nvme ports to a gigabtye c621 board.
  4. L

ES Xeon Discussion

Since you were able to get around that flashing bug I had that board The Z10PE-D16 (same as the d8 but with more memory slots) it is flaky with ES chip just like the Z9PE-D8 was. When I switch to a Supermicro Z10DAX all my asus ES troubles went away. In the future you might want to try out a...
  5. L

Ryzen 5/7 as a Xeon E3 Competitor?

Well Sandy-bridge-E gave me issues with an Asus Z9PE-d8 motherboard. That was an Asus issue and their lesser brand ASrock seems to produce better motherboards bioses.. This why I let others become the earlier adopter now ;D My problem with AMD stems from the fact that I know they are slow to...
  6. L

Does Intel Skylake X299 HEDT have a PCIe problem?

Considering there are no motherboards and cpus out to the public for when it comes to Skylake-X and Threadripper I think people are focused on the wrong things aty the moment. First off we don't know the final clocks of either cpus or their full turbo boost. When is comes to Intel we know the...
  7. L

NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti Recommendations

The one thing ATI did better than Nvidia was include more powerful fans in their reference coolers. they would cool very well cranked up. I really can't recommend any reference design anymore since third party custom pcbs tend to have much better cooling, but my triple slot strix really gets me...
  8. L

ES Xeon Discussion

Prices of ES were dropping a bit on the eBAY. but like I was suggesting earlier if you are going to buy an ES chip DO your research A0-L0 are bad buys. M0-QS are still good. Hell I even saw v1 and v2 early ES chips going up, I had a good laugh. I really wanted to report this guys trying pass off...
  9. L

Prior experiences with Opterons (1st gen mind you) not playing well with a database I was using at the time. Complete data corruption teaches one the hard way that even switches arches is cause for a backup. Remember the Ryzen thread scheduler patch? Microsoft acknowledges AMD Ryzen performance...
  10. L

Intel S2600 bit fade memory errors

But to be 100% sure you have to test in a board that is not Intel S2600. What are the odds that every module that was purchased from different people all have the same problem?
  11. L

Even if the numbers worked in Ryzen's favor I'm still hard pressed to let 1st gen Ryzen touch my data.
  12. L

I'm using samsung M393A 16GB reg ECC dimms 1.5V on supermicro and asrock boards without issue I just memtested them the other day a set of 4 the other without problem. Are you running the mixed voltage memory together in the same system? Do you have another motherboard you can test the memory...
  13. L

NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti Recommendations

Are you going to buy an AC unit for the TIs too? ;D I'd be curious to know how much the four cards at load increase room temperature.
  14. L

It would help to note the type of ram you are using unbuffered/Registered ECC/non-ECC also the brand, model, and size of the memory would be helpful.
  15. L

ES Xeon Discussion

Since you need to build something now try looking for some cheap sky lake desktop parts and also look at e3 xeons most of those are quad cores. Your fx-8350 is dated to the point an i5 can beat it: Intel Core i5 4690 vs AMD FX 8350 What you could do now is an upgrade bump and when Ryzen 2 or 3...