Recent content by LagrangePoint

1. L

Low Power pfsense build ... Denverton?

I just read on a Reddit thread that low end Apollo Lake SoC is "the go to for self built PFSense routers." At $55, it can't hurt to try. For one user, I doubt you need an Atom C2000 or C3000 series. I hardly used 15% CPU on my C2758 running several VM machines.
  2. L

ASRock J4205 Low Power Pi replacement

Build’s Name: PVE FrankenServer Operating System/ Storage Platform: Proxmox CPU: Pentium J4205 Motherboard: ASRock J4205-mITX Chassis: Supermicro 1u Drives: 120 GB SSD RAM: 8 GB Kingston DDR3L 1600 Add-in Cards: N/A Power Supply: Mean Well NES-100 / PicoPSU -80 Other Bits: ELEGIANT DC 12V PWM...
  3. L

Replacing Pi with Apollo Lake Pentium

Thanks for the caution - My rack is right next to my computer desk, so I can work around not having IPMI if it just has a VGA connector. I figure no IPMI saves me some money and watts. I mention "headless" because a number of these boards seem tailored for HTPC usage rather than as a server...
  4. L

Replacing Pi with Apollo Lake Pentium

I've been thinking about retiring my Raspberry Pi from the homelab and upgrading to something with a little more horsepower, while still staying around 10+W on energy consumption. The intended use is for a bare metal linux distro providing services that should still be available when my main...
  5. L

Any workaround for Supermicro Java IPMI in 2017?

I'll have to call their support number and see about the firmware update. The website still lists 2.26 as the latest version. I've been eyeing the Atom C3338 offerings, but since it still uses the AST2400 BMC controller will it have the new HTML5 IPMI capability? The SM website doesn't make...
  6. L

Any workaround for Supermicro Java IPMI in 2017?

I've got a Supermicro Atom A1SRM-2578F that is quietly humming along as my FreeNAS server, but I can't help but wonder if some day I'll be unable to use the Java IPMI feature on desktop clients. Hoping to avoid using the VGA port, has anyone found a way to update to HTML5 IPMI or use a fork...
  7. L

FS: Samsung 32GB DDR4 stick

Good to know - It's my first server build and between esoteric POST issues and being new to server hardware I wasn't sure if it would have worked given more tweaking. Sounds like I might get more hits listing it on Ebay since Xeon D is pretty popular with the STH community.
  8. L

FS: Samsung 32GB DDR4 stick

Bought new and couldn't get it to play well with my Xeon D as a single stick last summer. I believe the memory is fine but will take a return if it doesn't check out. Asking $225 OBO. Prefer to ship domestically only.