Recent content by ky56

1. K

Can't decide on a TRX50 board

My staged plan on watercooling everything is to waterblock the two sets of VRMs that I can see and then use the Alphacool mini blocks on chips I have identified as getting too hot. Either by testing which ones burn my finger or get a little sophisticated with a thermal camera. I don't see how...
  2. K

Since I really like my watercooled, quiet, low airflow kind of build, I think I'm still going to do a before and after temperature comparison. But that's nice to know and I did read the thread and saw the Dr MOS info before posting. But I'm still assuming that if you don't have good airflow...
  3. K

I hope I'm not not reviving a dead topic. @mattventura It's amazing how much this post looks like I wrote it. Also on x79 and looking at a new HEDT build and ended up on an almost identical list of hardware, requirements and reasons. I think your first choice, the Supermicro board, is the...
  4. K

Can I attach a 10GBase-LR to QSFP-40G-LR4 (CWDM)?

It's a guide for converting Dell EMC SX6012 from just InfiniBand to a full 40/56GbE switch. But it applies to some other Mellanox switches as well. https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/beware-of-emc-switches-sold-as-mellanox-sx6xxx-on-ebay.10786...
  5. K

The idea was to have the SX6012 feed points around the house and both 40G and 10G equipment can just plug into it. All these other solutions are great or better for a rack situation though. Guess I'll need different plans for 40/10G connections. I think at this point I'm completely over...
  6. K

Oops missed you second comment. I had though similarly of that but I figured the "pings" it sends out to detect a new hotplug on the other channels would interfere. But outright disabling the other channels sounds interesting. They are essentially 4 SFPs merged into one. The SFF specs I think...
  7. K

Yea I just realized how wrong I was about that. I mixed up a passive splitter and CWDM Mux. I was browsing CWDM boxes again and noticed they all have wavelength labels on each port. I also remembered that they use prisms which should have been the clue. Oh well. It's a shame that those CWDM...
  8. K

Prophes0r had the right idea. I don't need to breakout the QSFP CWDM channels as SFPs only need one. I will be using XQX2502 QSFP+ LR Lite transceivers using CWDM. Whatever the lite part means. They use lc-lc connectors. So that's 4 different wavelengths (1270nm, 1290nm, 1310nm, and 1330nm)...
  9. K

The 10GBase-LR is 1310nm and the QSFP-40G-LR4 CWDM channels are 1271, 1291, 1311 and 1331 nm. Are the 1310nm and 3rd channel 1311nm technically compatible? I have a 10Gb and (will eventually have) a 40Gb switch both fitted with basic LR (Q)SFP+ transceivers and want to know if I can directly...
  10. K

SuperMicro X11SCH-F - Bifurcation Support

You are correct but the CPU configuration pins provide another way to do this. I haven't tried this yet but it looks promising. In summary use the intel platform datasheet to identify which pins configure hardware bifurcation and short them to ground using silver paint directly on the CPU PCB...
  11. K

4x NVMe U.2 Gen4 Caddy; Icy Dock MB699VP-B V2 or similar, available?

Huh. That's annoying. Aren't U.2 drives incompatible with U.3 backplanes? Cause that complicates my plan of mostly using older PCIe 3.0 and some 4.0 U.2 drives.
  12. K

4x NVMe U.2 Gen4 Caddy; Icy Dock MB699VP-B V2 or similar, available?

I have been unable to source the MB699VP-B V2 for a reasonable price or at all in Australia so far. Has someone had success with using the MB699VP-B at Gen 4 speeds? With or without a Re-Timer?
  13. K

[ebay BO] RMS-200/8G PCI-e NVRAM Accelerator 360$

How loud is the fan? Does it get very hot? I'm trying to balance performance while keeping my build as quiet as possible. Would it be possible to take the cover off and cool with external fan?
  14. K

eBay - Microsemi NV-1616 NVRAM 16GB w BBU - $129.98

Would you be able to share this file somewhere? I created a login but the page times out after a few minutes giving a 500 internal server error. EDIT: Actually I don't think I can even create an account. I think that timed out as well. I noticed Microchip has bought out PMC and that it points...