Recent content by ktkintner

1. K

Taming the C6100

On my fans the wire colors all matched, if yours don't you will need to find the pinout diagram for your fans.
  2. K

HP DL180G6 runs Xpenology (Synology clone) with LSI SAS!

If you want to help with noise you can replace the fans, I replaced mine with 4 of these: Dell Optiplex GX620 SX280 USFF San Ace CPU Fan U1295 9G0612P1M031 | eBay With 2 L5520s the processors stay around 40C. First thing I did on my server was pull the redundant fans and the Y-cables used to...
  3. K

Need help for new workstation built

So you basically bought it for the case and power supply? Why even buy a complete workstation if that was your intent? You could have saved a lot of money by just doing a custom build. If you are concerned about cooling get a good case that is designed with cooling in mind. At this point I would...
  4. K

HP To Charge For Service Packs and Firmware For Out-of-Warranty Customers -Slashdot

Unfortunately a lot of home users buy off lease servers which are out of warranty, myself I just picked up a DL180 G6 to use as a storage server. Fortunately I have downloaded the most up to date firmwares but this doesn't make me want to buy any additional HP machines.
  5. K

Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 2U 4-Node (8 CPU) Cloud Server

I put a dual port Intel 1000/PT in the PCIe riser card of one of my nodes and it is working fine.
  6. K

HP DL180G6 runs Xpenology (Synology clone) with LSI SAS!

Does the LSI 99208i cause the fans in the DL180 G6 to run at max RPMs or does it still allow the fan speed to be adjusted based on temps. I have read that HPs are very particular when adding cards that aren't original equipment for that server and want to avoid any issues with fan speed. Any...
  7. K

Taming the C6100

I cut then stripped and soldered the wires together splicing the pig tails off of the original fans to the wires from the replacement fans after I cut just the connector off the replacement fans. After soldering I covered the connections in heat shrink. I didn't take any pictures and with...
  8. K

Taming the C6100

Yes I cut the connector off the new fans leaving most of the wire and on the original fans I cut the wire as close to the fans as I could to make the pigtails as long as possible. I soldered the wires together and covered them in heat shrink, I'm not a fan of crimp connectors when splicing...
  9. K

Taming the C6100

Fit perfectly and yes the wires need to be lengthened and the connectors need to be swapped out. I just clipped the wires off of the stock fans to get the extensions and correct connector then cut the connector off the replacement fans and spliced the wires together.
  10. K

Taming the C6100

I got these installed last night and could not be happier. My C6100 is now quieter than the computer it is replacing, a custom ATX mid tower build that I was using as a home server.
  11. K

Taming the C6100

I picked up 4 of these for for $14.38 shipped, from this auction Lot of 2 San Ace Fan 80mm 80mm x 38mm 9G0812P1F041 | eBay They are sold in pairs for $5.
  12. K

C6100 Alternatives

Watch Craigslist for C6100s, I picked up a XS23-TY3 3.5" Chassis with 4 nodes, 8x L5520s, 24GB of RAM per node and 4 drive trays for $400 last night. So deals are out there, just harder to find.
  13. K

Need Advice on AIO Server Build

Well it doesn't matter now, I pulled the trigger on a C6100 XS23-TY3 3.5" chassis with 8x L5520s, 24GB of RAM per node and 4 drive sleds. Found it on Craigslist and emailed the guy for 10 days before he finally responded, he had the email going to an email address he never checks. He was asking...
  14. K

Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 2U 4-Node (8 CPU) Cloud Server

Picked up a C6100 XS23-TY3 3.5" chassis with 8x L5520s, 24GB of RAM per node and 4 drive sleds tonight for $400! Found it on Craigslist and emailed the guy for 10 days before he finally responded, he had the email going to an email address he never checks. He was asking $500 and all I did was...
  15. K

Need Advice on AIO Server Build

I am looking to build a server for my home, currently I have a custom built desktop that is a couple years old with an AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, currently running Windows Server 2012 R2 with only 8GB of RAM. My needs have grown since I built this box a couple years ago and would like to build...