Recent content by Kihltech

1. K

Advice on low power home server

From my understanding, using a hardware RAID controller for ZFS is not recommended, not only when it comes to passing it on to a VM. Interesting setup. Can you elaborate a little on the BTRFS setup? What is the advantage of doing that compared to setting up a ZFS pool of vdev mirrors? It sound...
  2. K

Thank you very much whitey, great information! Previously I have thought of 10G as over kill for a home setup, but seeing this as a 5 years solution perhaps I should reconsider it. I assume it's possible to disable the module completely to save power in the beginning. Back to the OS side of...
  3. K

Yes, aiming for a AIO. Tower yes. Budget, good question... I'm cost conscious. I'll pay for quality for sure but efficiency is important. Xeon-D sounds suitable with some 16 or 32GB RAM. I realize I could have been clear on my struggling thoughts - I don't know what to do on the layer on top...
  4. K

I'm stuck in my own thoughts when it comes to my next home server. I'm currently running out of space in the current system and the setup feels old and inefficient. APC SmartUPS 1500 (bought used, probably over sized for the task, noisy when the fans runs every now and then. Efficiency? I have...