Recent content by Keith Myers

1. K

SXM2 over PCIe

Time for a wipedown of the card connectors with DeOxit-D5 cleaner. Will definitely clear any oxidation on the contacts and contact fingers.
  2. K

Finally: Overclocking EPYC Rome ES

If you want to overclock an Epyc, you just purchase the Threadripper version of the cpu and motherboard.
  3. K

Can you provide a link to the source that showed Rome -04 units that were actually overclocked?
  4. K

Only the first generation Epyc, the 7001 series was remotely capable of overclocking. AND it had to be an ES or Engineering release model . . . IOW the pre-production units with not yet locked down features and firmware and not close to production spec clocks.
  5. K

No, you won't. Server cpus are generally not overclockable. You can however increase the cTDP and PPT limits in the UEFI to get the cpu to clock at its highest power limit. That helps with keeping the base clock up on higher loads. Look in the AMD CBS >> NBIO >> SMU options page for those...
  6. K

I run a 7V12. There is no overclocking, just like a standard retail OEM tray model.
  7. K

Supermicro H12SSL-i, H12SSL-C, H12SSL-NT, H12SSL-CT boards - notes, experiences

Simply the difference in LAN speeds. 1GB versus 10GB for the NTO board. A friend asked me to look at the compatibility matrix from SM for his H11DSi board and it looks like the document was created before ANY 2022 OS was released. Hasn't been updated since its creation.
  8. K

You should be able to define the external gpu as the video output in BIOS instead of the built-in BMC video output.
  9. K

Wasmachineman's Water Cooling Adventures

Why I was so afraid of any plexiglass block from any vendor until I bought into the Kool-Aid party line of Optimus' use of cast acrylic and diamond polishing. Been using nothing but their blocks since their inception. My blocks are still crystal clear with no sign of crazing or stress...
  10. K

Epyc 7b13 + supermicro motherboard

If you want absolute maximum boost clock, get the 7443P, 24c/48t which will keep all cores synced to 4Ghz under 100% load. Use to run that one on my RomeD8-2T boards until I heard the siren call of moar cores.
  11. K

That is a common complaint. Lots of people have a very poor customer service. But others like myself always get great customer service. Rapid replies and shipped orders. Extras thrown in for no cost. Can't explain why the dichotomy.
  12. K

Depends on your workload in my experience. I have both a 7002 and a 7003 cpu and the 7002 is faster than the equivalent 7003 cpu just because of the base/boost clock differences and sku segmentation for market. The 7003 is slightly more efficient in watts/job for the same cTDP ratings between...
  13. K

Being an American company based in Chicago, yes, they use what you call Imperial screws. IOW UNC standard.
  14. K

The socket head cap screws?? As long as you don't use the wrong size wrench or a worn out one with rounded corners, shouldn't have a problem. The cap screws thread into the coldplate and not into plastic so can't strip out the plastic. One of the main tenets of Optimus block design is all...
  15. K

I always thought the Optimus system of threaded studs and thumbnuts was a plus. Very easy to mount and tighten as much as you want. Don't ever have to worry about stripping out a crosshead or hex screw or nut.