Recent content by Kal G

1. K

[WTB] 512GiB registered ECC for Epyc

Hi Wings. You might get more responses if you listed what hardware you are planning to run (ie. CPU(s) and motherboard).
  2. K

Looking for Dual mini-ITX cases

Looks like there's a couple of the Travla T2280 listed on Amazon under "KRI CK2280". Currently showing 6 in stock.
  3. K

Where are the half-rack server cases?

iDOTpc's Half-U cases might work for you. 8.56" wide and available sizes of 1U to 3U. I use a modified version of the ITS-2814 for my lab servers.
  4. K

What 2.5GBase-T Netword card

Thanks for the heads up. It'll be interesting to see which stepping it comes with.
  5. K

What 2.5GBase-T Netword card

If you prefer Intel to Realtek, QNAP makes a 2.5Gbe NIC based on the Intel I225 chipset (P/N: QNAP QXG-2G1T-I225). I have one on the way for testing.
  6. K

2U rackmount chassis with horizontal/full height PCI-e?

The chassis you have is designed for a Micro-ATX motherboard (see the dimensions here). You would need to use a PCIe riser card to adapt to the full height, horizontal, PCIe slots. I can't be certain based on the pictures, but the PSU is likely a FlexATX form factor. What form factor...
  7. K

Need help reseting the password on a Cisco 3560G switch

The web GUI does not work unless you create a user with level 15 access. From the CLI: - enable - config t - username admin privilege 15 secret password (replace "admin" and "password" with your own) - ip http server (this enables the service) - ip http authentication local Then try logging in...
  8. K

Ok, try this: 1) Unplug the power and plug it back in 2) As soon as the SYST LED starts blinking, press and hold the [Mode] button 3) You will eventually see the following scroll across your terminal: Using driver version 1 for media type 1 Base ethernet MAC Address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx Xmodem...
  9. K

On the 3560s, you use the physical mode button on the front of the switch. See this page for the procedure.
  10. K

MCX312A-XCBT or X520-DA2 in PCIe v2 x8 slot?

Yes, either card should work fine. 5 GT/s translates to about 4 Gbit/s for each lane. So the theoretical maximum is 32 Gbit/s for 8 lanes with the 8b/10b encoding scheme used by PCIe v2.
  11. K

POE test device

Are you looking for a wall wart style? If so, IPCamPower makes two. IPCP-MINIINJECTOR (15W 802.3af) ~$10 IPCP-MINIINJECTOR-AT (30W 802.3at) ~$15 I wouldn't recommend them for permanent installations, but they should be fine for testing purposes.
  12. K

Cheap 40GbE at home - too good to be true?

You could, but Noctuas don't have the static pressure to dissipate the heat output.
  13. K

Cheap 40GbE at home - too good to be true?

They are definitely loud. Not bad once they've booted though (51 dB at 3 feet). The power draw can be surprisingly good. The SX6012 on my test bench is 30W at idle and 44W while booting. I spun the fans all the way up and it measured 55W. Each DAC adds between 0.5-1.0W. * Bear in mind...
  14. K

Odroid H2 Proxmox host

Doesn't help the hobbyists when somebody buys up 100 of the initial run to sell on eBay.
  15. K

Improving My Home Network/Best Practices/Suggestions

I'm not sure about 9.2, but 9.3 and newer are definitely limited. I'd recommend against messing with 9.2 for production use as it lacks support for newer encryption protocols. I never understood why Cisco felt the need to overprice their virtual ASAs. You can buy an ASA 5506-X for $600-800...