Recent content by jtabc

1. J

Pentium G4560T in Elitedesk 800 G3 SFF?

Can an Intel Pentium G4560T CPU be used with an HP Elitedesk 800 G3 SFF? This particular processor is not directly listed as supported on HP's webpage, but the Pentium G4560 (non-T) processor is listed as supported. Will I have any issues getting the T variant to work? HP EliteDesk 800 G3 Small...
  2. J

What are the most important components for low idle power draw?

I recently built a few computers this summer for various purposes and I was surprised at how big the difference in idle power draw between the two of them are (when running Windows 10 and the same power plan settings). PC 1: HP Elitedesk 800 G4 SFF (motherboard, PSU, and case) Intel i7 8700 2x...
  3. J

Teamgroup NVMe SSD High Idle Power Draw

I used smartmontools (smartctl) --capabilities to check the power states available for the Teamgroup SSD and this is what I found: Supported Power States St Op Max Active Idle RL RT WL WT Ent_Lat Ex_Lat 0 + 6.50W - - 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 + 5.80W...
  4. J

Teamgroup NVMe SSD High Idle Power Draw

I was testing two SSDs and I was surprised to see a large difference in idle power consumption between the two in an HP Elitedesk 800 G4 SFF PC with an i7 8700. Samsung SM951 (256 GB) Teamgroup MP33 (1 TB) What I noticed was that when I had the Samsung drive in the system (with the OS...
  5. J

Low Power 10 Gigabit NVMe server?

Great suggestion. I just found a barebones HP ELITEDESK 800 G4 SFF on Ebay for $35, free shipping with 30 day returns. No brainer to at least try it out and see if everything works as expected for that price.
  6. J

Low Power 10 Gigabit NVMe server?

I have been using an HP Slimline 290-p0043w with a Mellanox Connect-X2 10 gigabit card to share a Samsung 970 Evo plus with my editing workstation (over the 10 gig connection) and 7 other render nodes (PCs built specifically for rendering 3D animations in parallel) over the gigabit connection...
  7. J

iperf3 speeds not symmetric on multiple adapters in Windows 10?

Here is the hardware for each machine. Would you expect my observation considering the following hardware? HP slimline (file server) ( 192.168.X.220 ): CPU: Celeron G4900 RAM: 4 GB @ 2666 MHz (according to task manager) Desktop / Workstation ( 192.168.X.201 ): CPU: i7 5960x RAM: 64 GB @ 2133...
  8. J

As I mentioned in my prior post, -R didn't help. Additionally, I don't see how it can be the cards considering I'm observing this result both with the 10-gig card as well as with the built-in 1-gig ethernet. It must be related to the software that I'm running on the server (Windows Server 2019)...
  9. J

Sorry for the late reply. I tried -R reverse mode and received the same results as my initial post (I tried all 8 combinations: with and without reverse mode, with the built-in gigabit and with the 10gig nic, and with the HP server acting as the Iperf server and the other machine acting as the...
  10. J

I've only tested it single threaded. But once again it is directional. Slow from the HP machine but not slow from the desktop.
  11. J

Iperf is a Linux Tool, Not optimized for Windows. Some Versions shipped with a less optimized/Buggy cygwin.dll (there are no official binaries, all the Windows Files are from third Parties). Use iperf via Linux live Systems or try Other Software Like ntttcp (GitHub - microsoft/ntttcp) for...
  12. J

I ran `iperf3` between two Windows machines and noticed that the speeds were not symmetric. I tested using both the built-in 1-gigabit Ethernet adapters in each machine as well as with 10-gigabit Mellanox ConnectX-2 cards in both machines. Here's the relevant output. I address the 10-gigabit...
  13. J

10-Gigabit mixed with 1 Gigabit Network on Windows 10

Thanks everyone, this is super helpful. I was able to get configuration 2 to work perfectly by putting the Mellanox cards on a different subnet and lowering the interface metric beneath the Ethernet ports. I'm just curious though: why was the performance using the bridge (configuration 3) so...
  14. J

I agree using a 10gig SFP+ switch would be easier but I don't really want to spend $100-$200 on one if I don't really need it. If I am understanding correctly, using a lower metric in configuration 2 for the 10 gigabit connection than the 1 gigabit connection would cause Windows to prioritize...
  15. J

I need a file server with a fast connection (random and sustained read/write speeds) to one workstation and a gigabit connection to several other machines. The other machines are render nodes for which a gigabit connection to the file server is sufficient. The workstation needs fast access to...