Recent content by JSchuricht

1. J

EXPIRED 18TB WD Easystore (Easyshucks) $199.99 at BestBuy

I really need to stop looking in here. In for 4 more.
  2. J

Anybody run their own local Windows update server using WSUS?

It's not that hard to setup but you need lots of patience waiting for the first sync to complete. The biggest things to do or avoid doing are: don't do driver updates and use a good cleanup/maintenance script. Optional but strongly recommended, use a separate MS SQL server instead of the built...
  3. J

LSI RAID Controllers - PCIe2-6Gbps / Windows Server 2022

I have a few older LSI cards working on 2022 server. They are all set to UEFI boot, haven't tried legacy BIOS. I think both were in place upgrades from 2019 server. Supermicro X9DBL-3F with 9280-4i4e and 9286CV-8e on driver 6.714.18.0 Supermicro X10DRI with 9271-8iCC running driver 6.714.5.0
  4. J

Designing 1U/2U/3U/4U rackmount server chassis - these will be going to production - looking for input, ideas, and feedback!

I'm a bit late to this thread but I recently picked up a Sliger CX3152a to replace an old HTPC so here's an idea for a infrared option that would be easy to implement in production with a minor change to the printed USB bracket and front panel cutouts. The infrared is Inteset PC-IRS5-01 which...
  5. J

Can I attach these square-mount rails on my round-mount rack? (re: Norco RL-26 rails)

The pics are lacking a few angles but it looks like the cage on the back of the rail ears could be removed perhaps by drilling some rivets out. Then you could cut the hooks off and drill a couple of holes for screws to pass through.
  6. J

Supermicro Mobo - Missing CPU Heat Sink Connectors?

Hard to tell from the pictures but that looks like the normal threaded inserts that the heat sinks screw into. Supermicro has a heatsink matrix that should help narrow down what you need. Keep in mind many server MB's have a narrow and wide version. Order an active or passive unit depending on...
  7. J

Am I getting scammed by seller on "not as described" eBay return shipping? Any eBay experts?

Most likely a stall tactic waiting for the case to timeout.
  8. J

Am I getting scammed by seller on "not as described" eBay return shipping? Any eBay experts?

It is a bunch of work which is why sellers keep doing this. I hate facebook too, ebay community forums recommends them but calling is still an option.
  9. J

Went through this a few months ago. Pay attention to the time frames so you don't let anything expire on the case. You potentially have three layers of protection, use ebay first, paypal second then credit card third. If you skip ahead, you can't go back and use an earlier method and ebay is...
  10. J

How do I get Hyper-V to recognize my USB device?

It is an easy thing to answer. Hyper V doesn't natively support USB device pass through. There are some 3rd party apps that add usb support I have read about in passing but haven't played with any of them.
  11. J

open box Supermicro motherboard on Newegg

Depends on your luck. Gamers Nexus had some bad luck earlier this year with a board that Newegg sent back to the manufacturer with bent pins, didn't get fixed then resold with the repair declined sticker still attached to the MB. Gamers Nexus returned the MB to Newegg without having opened the...
  12. J

Gigabyte enterprise support - does it even exist?

I haven't tried their enterprise side, Gigabyte has been on my S*** list since ~2005. I had 3 P4 systems based on their 8KNXP board, every one caught on fire where the power regulators connected to the board with basically an ISA slot that couldn't handle the current. The units that came back...
  13. J

US - STH Perpetual Freebies Thread

Interested in the Supermicro chassis, sending PM.
  14. J

CPU missing cores

I am having a weird failure that I haven't ran across before and is intermittent which makes it fun to track down. Server: Supermicro x10DRi BIOS 3.4a IPMI 3.93 Windows 2022 server, dedicated Hyper V host x2 E5 2690 V4 14 core CPU's 8x 32GB RAM, 128GB per socket The system crashed and...
  15. J

How long is too long for you to not replace computer equipment due to reliability concerns?

Used sometimes happens but it is usually in purchasing an entire tool which includes the servers, not individual components. It comes down to risk. We make 300mm pieces of glass that go "inside" stuff you use. It takes several months with thousands of operations at different toolsets for each...