Recent content by joshuass1467

1. J

Simple Home Network Advice

I wish I saw that before I bought the T730 lol. Looks like a nice capable device. I also looked at older optiplex sff pcs too. Here's what I ultimately ended up with: T730 ($160 on ebay) i340 intel quad port nic ($29 on ebay) T1600G-28TS TP-Link JetStream switch 24Port ($119 new on amazon)...
  2. J

Agreed. I don't really want to route at the switch level. I was assuming that if pricing was right, I was not opposed to picking one up if it gave me the other features such as POE and port count. I can ignore the L3 capabilities entirely. Though, I doubt such a switch would be cheaper than...
  3. J

Good to know. I'm not doing anything with ipv6 just yet but i appreciate the info nonetheless. I spent some time looking through ebay for brocade gear. And in doing so realized I have to think carefully about what does what on the network. I've been used to having a single box do L3...
  4. J

When I purchased the home, my friend ran a ton of cable as a gift (too much). Each room in the house has at least 2 lines for internet 1 line for cable and 1 line for voice/tele. Main living areas actually have 2 sets of these drops each. So the above would work well. The $150 budget was...
  5. J

I believe I started the discussion with the assumption a typical consumer router may not have been enough. I forgot about the Asus router line. I have a patch panel in the basement where all the network drops terminate. I wanted to keep the equipment downstairs and use a line to connect the ap...
  6. J

What sort of options are you thinking of? I don't mind reading about particular product lines if I can be pointed in the right direction for reputable vendors. Cost is an important factor here, I was hoping to be perhaps 150$ or so. This might show my ineptitude in this arena, but it would be...
  7. J

Awesome. Thanks for the input. I saw in another post (might have been reddit) that a poster liked having a single glass pane into the workings of the his network by doing the vlan in the router and using L2 switches. For the little traffic my network will see (I dont have a "lab" just a network)...
  8. J

Hey all, I am looking for some guidance on my home network rebuild. Here are some details: I have a 400/20 mbit cable connection to the house My house is a ~1600sqft (i think) ranch with drywall and unfinished full basement All rooms are wired with cat5/6 I use a WNDR3700 with openwrt on it...