Recent content by jmck

1. J

Brand New SuperMicro CSE-836E16-R92JBD 3U 16 BAY 3.5 JBOD BPN-SAS2-836EL1 for $349, free shipping

I saw the shipping cost, it was and still is free. You might be looking at overnight cost? Seller accepted $300 offer. Thanks OP.
  2. J

Is the Cisco C240-M3 worth it?

I have 4 C240 M3S's and have had very good luck with them. In my first 6 months with a C6100, I had a blade die and about 1 a year after that. So far I haven't had a C240 go bad yet and I've been running a few for going on 2 years. I picked another one up a while ago from the seller linked...
  3. J

TOSHIBA 600GB 10K SAS 2.5IN - $52 CDW Outlet

If you're looking for 600GB 10K SAS, check out these on eBay. 600GB 2.5" 10K SAS hard drive HGST HUC109060CSS600 For IBM | eBay $16.99 each, they were brand new, 0 hours when I got mine. And the drive trays that they come in resell for about $9-10 each.
  4. J

PMS 4.0...PMS 5.0...PMS 6.0...No PMS 7.0! Plex/Storage server upgrade [PICS]

It's not a limitation on Nvidia's part, it's Plex. Some people have compiled ffmpeg on their own with hardware decode support and swapping it into Plex, still a no go. It's an issue Plex needs to address.
  5. J

Server Room Build

Small update, all the electrical is done now. I have 2x 120v 30 amp and 1x 120v 20 amp circuits installed. Used 10/3 with ground so later it'll be easy to switch to 240v if I start acquiring those UPSs. Also had the cabling for the AC run, AC disconnect installed and a Nest Protect installed...
  6. J

Server Room Build

I'm waiting on information from the HVAC guy for the mini split but it will probably be a 9k BTU unit. Using the formula for sizing, my load will be about 6.5k BTU. I've read with modern mini-splits and variable speed compressors, 80% is the sweet spot for efficiency. That gives me a little room...
  7. J

Server Room Build

Not much has been going on, work has been busy. During the week, I put up 2 coats of primer. I sprayed on the first coat of paint earlier today. Hopefully tonight, it's dry and I can put 1 more coat on today. That should finish that up and tomorrow will be flooring. I still might throw some mud...
  8. J

Server Room Build

It's not permitted. I talked with my buddy who is a GC and was told it wasn't needed. I'm not adding any livable space, it's basically a closet. I did my 3rd and hopefully last coat today. In the morning I will go over the top corners one more time. If it drys quick enough, I can do my final...
  9. J

Server Room Build

I had thought about the shed approach as well but sound proofing was the most important aspect to me. Finishing the room was for both function and form. I could have just sealed up the joints and left it. That would have cut out leaking air and dust from the corners and joints. But when I...
  10. J

Server Room Build

Very close, 6' x 9' inside. I can't imagine doing 8 rooms. I'm still trying to figure out the top of the corners. I'm not happy with the 1 I've been working on so far. I chipped it out a bit and reset compound this afternoon. Hopefully tomorrow is better. I've also got a few small bubble holes...
  11. J

Server Room Build

I already have the UPS's so I'm committed to 120. The power runs will be in conduit the entire way so if I ever upgrade to 240, it should be easy. I'm using a drying compound. I did add more water this morning and it bought me some extra time. I also started using a spray bottle to keep the...
  12. J

Server Room Build

I'm not too worried about flood damage here. Nothing will be on the floor and the UPS will be a good 3-4" off the garage floor after being installed. My water heater is located near by but the garage has a slight angle to it and would flow out under the garage door. I actually tested this by...
  13. J

Server Room Build

I lurk here quite a bit and post once in a while but thought I'd share my server room build. Last summer I added a mini-split to my home office to help with the heat but with some new server additions and 40GbE switches, my 24U rack is full and too loud to sit near. I picked up a 48U 750mm x...
  14. J

$210 BROCADE ICX6610-48P-E

You buyers should read through this thread. https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/recommend-10gbe-l2-l3-switch-vlan-acls.19338/
  15. J

Recommend: 10GbE, L2+/L3 switch. VLAN ACLs

Had time today to play with mine. Got it linked up to my Arista 7050 using the 40GbE stacking port on the 6610.