Recent content by JJ Duru

1. J

HGST SAS3 Drives with 20k Hours

Yeah, early on I considered dropbox or equivalents. However, it addresses just one need and one need only. I need the storage array for the various Oracle db virtual machines and docker/kubernetes nodes, store pictures (not just family photos). Backblaze B2 as an offline backup solution is just...
  2. J

I decided to go with new drives, bought over a longer period of time instead of doing the expense upfront. This is what I'll go for: https://www.seagate.com/files/www-content/datasheets/pdfs/exos-7-e8-msft-data-sheetDS1957-5M-2005US-en_US.pdf Base model: Seagate ST8000NM003A 8TB, 12Gbps, 4kn...
  3. J

See the full SMART reports attached here. Somehow the drives were not capable of running the long smart test. They guy really found a niche to sell drives and he obviously does something right that he succeeds. He has a competitive price and, also, on a private message, he said he's offering 1...
  4. J

...And today it even crossed my mind to check the warranty status of these four drives by serial number on HGST's page, and to my surprise, the page says to return the drives to the point of sale.
  5. J

Thank you for you input! Return has been initiated. On a larger issue, what items do I have to follow when it comes to the smart report? I'm watching the power-on time, but I guess there are many more items I should be paying attention to. Thanks a bunch.
  6. J

Howdy, I got these four drives off of ebay, sold as "new", at a good price, $139, for this seller: deals2day-364. Now, I didn't expect them to be new, but I didn't expect the drives to have 20k power-on hours either. The fact that they are sold as "new" when they have even more hours than the...
  7. J

Need Advice for SAS 12Gpbs Drives

I am debating between these three types of drives: 1. HGST HE8 HUH728080AL4200 8TB 7.2k SAS 12GB/s 3.5" https://www.ebay.com/itm/HGST-HE8-8TB-7-2k-SAS-12GB-s-3-5-HUH728080AL4200-FOR-SERVER-USE-ONLY/224010990332 2. Seagate ST8000NM0065 8TB 7200RPM 3.5IN 4KN SAS-12GBPS...
  8. J

Supermicro X11SPM-TF Memory Channels Frequencies

The components listed in the original post are ordered and they'll be delivered in a few days. I need to test-stress them out as much as possible in the first 10 days or so. What's the best way to do that? Please have patience, I have not built a new custom system in about 10 years or so...
  9. J

Supermicro X11SPM-TF Memory Channels Frequencies

Hi there, I need to match the following trifecta and make them play nice together: - motherboard: Supermicro X11SPM-TF - CPU: Intel Xeon Silver 4114 SR3GK 10-Core 2.20GHz 13.75MB LGA3647 CPU - memory module: Supermicro Certified MEM-DR464L-HL03-LR26 Hynix HMAA8GL7CPR4N-VK 64GB DDR4-2666 ECC...
  10. J

VMware 6.5 and A2SDi-16C-HLN4F (cluster 2-node)

Isn't this the native driver from vmware? VMware vSphere with Operations Management
  11. J

Craig, That's the thing: time is not on my side. With a needy family that consumes internet with bread, I have to keep the interwebz available as much as possible (hence the highly available internal network architecture). I performed the reinstall: I get lower CPU usage overall. With all the...
  12. J

Darn it, now I realized what happened: I did use your driver from post #32, not post #37. Back to the drawing board. I'll do the reinstalls and provide updates.
  13. J

Hi Craig, I started using this driver you compiled, in the following setup: - mobo: Supermicro A2SDi-2C-HLN4F - same ixgbe NICs as on your motherboard - esxi 6.7: customized to the lastest patchset (ESXi670-201808001/release date 14AUG2018/build 9484548) - the ixgbe driver you attached to this...