Recent content by JiPtheChip

1. J

Server won't power on, but BMC is normal

I'm not sure if the BMC actually works because I'm not entirely sure what it is or how to use it, but according to what my motherboard's BMC LED is saying, it's operating normally. I hope what you're saying is true, because it would be much better to have a broken PSU than a broken motherboard...
  2. J

Server won't power on, but BMC is normal

I'm building a server with a SuperMicro X11SCL-F O, Intel Xeon E-2186G, 2 16 GB sticks of 2400 MHz ECC RAM, and an 80 plus gold certified 650 Watt PSU. As the title says, however, the system won't power on. The fans don't spin and the power led on my motherboard doesn't light up at all...
  3. J

Trying to put together a game server at home, need advice from a pro.

So I decided to go with a Xeon E-2186G processor, and found a board: a Supermicro X11SCL-F-O, and this RAM to go with it: 2x For Hynix 16GB PC4-17000 (DDR4-2133) 2133Mhz ECC Server Memory RAM 288pin @RS | eBay Should these parts suffice? Would a higher frequency RAM improve performance?
  4. J

I want a powerful chip because I want the server to be able to support around 100 player at once, maybe more, and I want it to stay online as much as possible. ECC would be nice, but don't only server-grade boards support it? If that's the case, I wouldn't even be able to use an i7.
  5. J

I don't plan on the server being small, that's why I'm looking for powerful components. Would an i9-9900k with a desktop mobo and non-ECC UDIMM RAM be insufficient for that?
  6. J

I did look at dell's pre-built server options and they did offer the Xeon-E-2186G, but the hard drives they offered were incredibly overpriced and didn't have the amount of storage I need, the RAM was also overpriced, and they force you to accept features I don't want. I'd rather put it together...
  7. J

I'm not looking to charge people for the server, but I will accept donations. The game I'm running a server for is Minecraft Java edition, which has very few threads, so I'm looking for as much single core performance as I can get for around $400. I'd like the energy consumption to be less...
  8. J

I'm new to server hardware, and I wanted to build a public game server at home that runs 24/7. I've built multiple desktop computers but I'm completely new to the world of server hardware, so looking at all the options out there is daunting and confusing for me, and I need help selecting the...