Recent content by Jimster480

1. J

PSA: Vmware ESXi 7.0 does not like consumer NVMe drives

Yeah it is definitely some consumer drives. I haven't figured out what actually makes it work or not but I thought I had figured it out last night. Either way I'm glad that the driver still works today and my servers are running fine.
  2. J

Honestly I came up with this last night based on the screenshot you posted. Vs my own ESXI instances using SMI controllers. I know that Samsung controllers still work, you confirming that Phison controllers do work (someone else mentioned other drives) like @StevenDTX who said that Sandisk SN570...
  3. J

That is because the drives have Samsung and Phison controllers. My drive uses SMI and Silicon Motion isn't supported in the new ESXI.
  4. J

Which version of ESXI are you on? Because this driver still works fine for me on the latest patch of ESXI 7
  5. J

Just an update; this still works fine on the newest ESXI 7. Does anyone know if it works on ESXI 8? I'm a bit afraid to upgrade to 8.
  6. J

Thankfully I uploaded the file here and wrote the tutorial because I just fixed my server with it again! I forgot what I did and lost the driver in my NAS... The newest vSphere update does replace the NVMe driver so it will break any patched boxes (like mine). However the old driver still works...
  7. J

Just installed ESXI 7 and my Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB won't show up in ESXI. I did the stuff above and it worked now. I attached a zip file with the driver itself along with instructions I put together (based on how I did it).
  8. J

Updated: 01-23-23 -NVMe SSDs!

Taking a look at these EPYC chips; would they work in an HPE DL325 G10? I just picked up one of these servers with the 7402 but I could get my hands on another one with a much worse CPU for quite a bit less money and then upgrade the CPU if this was possible.
  9. J

HP DL325, Epyc 24 core 7402p, 64GB, SAS $1611

the more expensive one has 10gbe ethernet and possibly something with NVMe. I just got mine working with older Gen9 SAS SSD and a PCI-E to NVMe adapter along with cheap ram from ebay. Quite the deal really if you can put this all together.
  10. J

HP DL325, Epyc 24 core 7402p, 64GB, SAS $1611

They aren't even shipping them from most vendors at this point in time. I checked where I Got mine from and it says May delivery. The ebay seller is "away" and they have no return date set on ebay.
  11. J

Dual Xeon-D

Thanks!
  12. J

Dual Xeon-D

What is it? I don't have twitter anymore.
  13. J

Dual Xeon-D

Really? I never realized that OVH used completely custom motherboards. I know they have datacenters with custom servers for this "building wide" water cooling loop but never thought about custom motherboards themselves.
  14. J

£2.5k budget for a beast machine.. recommendations request

Well since he already has a 7700K machine, he could just leave that system for recording and then build this new TR system for everything else? Or maybe if everything else doesn't need so much then he should just go with a 3900X / 3950X system and save a bunch. This way he could have a better...
  15. J

£2.5k budget for a beast machine.. recommendations request

Well he basically has his system build there. Personally I wouldn't waste time with an all in one loop as they add complexity and maintenance that you are unlikely to want to do (unless you enjoy opening your computer and messing around with it).