Recent content by jimmy_1969

1. jimmy_1969

CWWK/Topton/... Nxxx quad NIC router

SSD Drive Installation Issue TL;DR SATA 3 port on motherboard cannot be used together with NWME M.2/Wifi/Bluetooth M.2 adaptor. Background Sharing this for anyone interested in using the SATA 3 port on the motherboard. I have a mini PC from CMMK, model CW-AD4L-N v2, using latest BIOS...
  2. jimmy_1969

speed bottlenecks - NAS for 1g/2.5g/5g/10g?

My advise is to stay away from software RAID as it typically offers slower performance and poor portability. See here for why. When your controller (stand-alone or integrated on motherboard) dies restoration is a nightmare. With the risk of stating the obvious, you will not see GByte/s...
  3. jimmy_1969

U-NAS NSC-800+Supermicro X10SDV-TLN4F Storage Server Build

7 Year Later - Update 29 Sep-22 Background I thought I would make a final postscript about this build since it has been seven years since the project started. Serve The Home has lots of inspiring build posts, bit I though I would contribute by doing one that shares long-term lessons learned...
  4. jimmy_1969

Aruba MAS series SFP+ & POE+ switches sub-$100

Hi, I initially stumbled on Vicious' youtube channel and the Aruba set-up videos, and ended up here. I subscribe to the idea of re-proposing older enterprise gear to fit my home lab. Must be some good karma to be gained from providing a new home for retired equipment... Would be interested in...
  5. jimmy_1969

Project Update 18 Feb-16 Virtual Environment After playing around with a few different virtual environments I decided to go with Proxmox. It installed easily and the 10GB NICs came up after the initial installation without any hassle. For instructions on how to install, pls refer to this guide...
  6. jimmy_1969

Thanks for the feedback, Markus. Fixed the link.
  7. jimmy_1969

Project Update 8 Nov-15: 10 GBe NICs Sorted and CPU Fan Installed Getting ixgbe driver to work on CentOS 7.1 In the spirit of sharing, see this post on how to get Intel X557-AT 10 GBe NICs working on CentOS7.1 using Intel's ixgbe 4.1.5 drivers. The scenario I was struggling with was to get the...
  8. jimmy_1969

Q: What Linux distributions support Intel's new X557-AT 10GBASE-T chip?

UPDATE: Getting ixgbe driver to work on CentOS 7.1 So in my previous update I shared how to get the Intel X557-AT NICs up using Fedora 23 Server Beta. But for my project I plan to use oVirt 3.6 which does not yet support that Fedora release. This time I knew exactly how to make it work so...
  9. jimmy_1969

@trippehh: I am using a Dell PowerConnect 5324. Different switch, but same symptom.
  10. jimmy_1969

Hi Matt, As a matter of fact I did read come across your build log when I planned for this project. It was a great inspiration to see how you managed to fit in those components in such a small chassis. Was really impressed with your dual-SDD mounting solution. Never considered disabling cores...
  11. jimmy_1969

PCIe issue remains. The interface throughput is only detected at 2.5 GT/s. If this really is a motherboard design limitation it would be a major dent to the value proposition to this 700 USD product. For a company like SuperMicro I expect that the individual components and overall design is...
  12. jimmy_1969

Network Configuration Issue Solved! Basically, my the reason my network configuration did not work out-of-the-box came down to two root causes: Incorrect ixgbe driver version Incorrect link level configuration to local switch Issue #1 was resolved by moving to Fedora Server 23 Beta which has a...
  13. jimmy_1969

Project Update 24 Oct-15 Power Measurements Performed a set of power test today. All measurements done on 240 V AC at power socket level. Test scenarios and results: BIOS Idle#1, Bare-bone: Motherboard /w CPU & RAM, PSU: 35W BIOS Idle#2: Adding 1xCPU fan, 2xChassis Fans and HBA card: 42 W BIOS...
  14. jimmy_1969

Update Making progress and have finally managed to get the link up. Still need to stabilise my configuration and ensure it can survive reboots. One thing that I noticed when booting up the kernel is that it complains that the PCIe buss on the Supermicro board is too slow to get optimal 10 GBe...
  15. jimmy_1969

Project Update 19 October-15 Motherboard X10SDV-4C-TLN2F NIC Driver Issue Progress Update Followed the advise to move to Fedora. Installed Fedora Server 23 Beta with 4.2 kernel and the latest ixgbe-4.1.5.tar.gz. NetworkManager is a pain so I gave up and disabled it, and went for old-school...