Recent content by jena

1. J

Need Advice: V100 ECC Retired Page Error exceeds 63 and corrupted InfoRom

It was a "ok" deal. The ebay seller specified no return. I will need to go through some hoops with ebay protection program to get it returned. So if it is a trivial issue, I can live with it.
  2. J

Need Advice: V100 ECC Retired Page Error exceeds 63 and corrupted InfoRom

Just bought a used V100 16GB PCIE as my learning tool for CUDA/Deep Learning. My long term plan is to get a 2nd one and use NVLINK to learn how to do DL data/model parallel. I ran NVIDIA’s diagnose test and found two errors (picture attached): Retired Page Error exceeds 63 corrupted InfoRom...
  3. J

Question about Disable E-core on DELL Precision 3660

Multi Core Support - Active Cores I saw this initially but doesn't trust that this option would allow to disable E-core. Because in the similar Alienware Aurora R13 with 12th gen (different motherboard), the manual states that
  4. J

Question about Disable E-core on DELL Precision 3660

Hi all, I was wondering if there is any user report whether E-core of i7-12700K on DELL Precision 3660 can be disabled in DELL BIOS. Because there are research software that we use that doesn't support E-core, but we still want 12th gen and 8C/16T of P core. Thanks!
  5. J

Mellanox ConnectX-3 slow transfer speed

Hello, I have tested a couple of MCX-311A card (latest driver and firmware) under Mint(Ubuntu) Linux with iperf. They work fine (9.x Gbit/s). I have tested these cards in a fresh-install Win10 21H2 (all default) on a Optiplex 9020. The iperf is about 8-9Gbit/s. When I test these cards in a...
  6. J

Lenovo 430-8i 430-16i HBA (LSI 3408, 3416) with ZFS

Thank you so much! I knew that I would get a good answer here. TrueNAS forum sometimes could be a bit too "religious" about cross-flash vanilla IT-firmware:p. I understand that they want to be on the "safe" side for ZFS newbies, so they insisted on vanilla LSI firmware or LSI HBA cards. BTW...
  7. J

Lenovo 430-8i 430-16i HBA (LSI 3408, 3416) with ZFS

Hi all, In my previous post, I mention that our research lab's mini server room and needs a small storage server running TrueNAS. I got initial quote from Lenovo and will also try DELL and ixSystem later. I think I might get a more accurate answer here and people are generally very...
  8. J

Seek suggestions for server room set up

Very good advice. I will be more upfront about this to my professor and lab members so that they have right levels of expectations. Maybe 3rd Proxmox server (less powerful) to have Promox running at high availability mode at its final form. Also try to have most computing needs runnable on...
  9. J

Agree 100%! I will explicitly tell my professor that he needs long term person to maintain it. Also I will tell the lab members to have a realistic expectation. These things that I built is a supplement and convenience for the lab member to increase their work efficiency. They should reserve a...
  10. J

(1) I wish I could, but the switch runs the whole floor is gigabit. (2) I assume that "Intrusion Detection" is ready provided by the University firewall. I can maybe set MAC and IP filtering at the router to only allow our lab computer to access lab-LAN University has a VPN. I can connect to it...
  11. J

I agree 100%. I am off the hook in a year as I will graduate next year. We have a new long-term PhD student who is seasoned in IT. Our current headache is that when using University's cluster, the wait time is long, data space is limited, we could easily wait a month just to get a package...
  12. J

Thank you very much of the detailed suggestions. Here is my comments and rationale. In my drawing, all wall receptacles are on dedicated circuit and its own breaker. Things that I need to decide and tell the contractor early next week is: How many wall receptacles (what voltage) and its...
  13. J

In general, I am seeking suggestions and validation of my design to avoid any major design flaws. From your comment, I guess we don't need firewall like pfsense since the firewall is already provided by the University. To allow VMs get IP addresses without affecting existing University...
  14. J

Reserve for future updates. The server room: Closed 20 sq ft room with heavy duty door, its own thermostat, supply and return air duct. No one work in it for extended time. The building: 12 floors, 5 elevators, new HVAC, renovated 3 years ago. No generator, but building power are very stable...