Recent content by jeffarese

1. J

PCIe 4.0 HBA's?

Nice! I think that makes X570 a very interesting choice for a low-power yet powerful NAS, since you could easily add more drives than you could fit in almost any case with some PCIe 4.0 lanes What do you think?
  2. J

Epyc vs Threadripper for homeserver & NAS

Ahhh, you got into my head... now I'm thinking about using my current X570 Master and buying a 3950x when it comes out. Being 16c/32t at 105W it could do very well for an all-purpose server/NAS. I wonder if having PCIe 4.0 means that there could be new HBA cards that added the double of ports...
  3. J

PCIe 4.0 HBA's?

I was wondering if there's going to be HBA's that use PCIe 4.0 so there can be double the ports in a single HBA, it would be good for a x570 powered NAS.
  4. J

I know that maybe I could do with that amount, but since I'm going to invest that amount of money now I want to future-proof as much as possible, if that makes sense. The PCI lanes are welcome too of course. I'm planning on using one alone in a NVMe * 4 adapter, which already takes a x16 out.
  5. J

Thanks for your answer Philmatic. I actually have a desktop with a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, so if I considered that option I could even use that board. The problem with AM4 is that it's pretty limited in regards of RAM. Theoretically you can get 256GB, but unbuffered DDR4 sticks are 16GB...
  6. J

Would you have any recommendations about motherboard? My budget is ~ 1600€ for both mobo and CPU. I was looking at Supermicro H11SSL-i, althought it bothers me buying a board for a 7002 series without PCIe 4.
  7. J

That's another option to consider, yes. The new series are a little bit more efficient, but maybe if I get a good deal it can be better value to buy an Epyc 1st Gen. Which board are you using?
  8. J

Hello. I'm upgrading a server I have at home and I'm looking at Epyc & Threadripper CPUs. My needs are: 1 VM as main development server which also acts as CI/CD running tests Multiple VMs for testing VPN & firewall Media center (automation with Plex, Sonarr, Radarr...etc) I currently have...