Recent content by Jebusfreek666

1. J

Adding 2x 2.5" SSD drives to server, need power.

I am in the process of converting my server from a tower to a Supermicro 846 chassis. This particular model comes with the PDB-PT216-2824 power distributor. The connections available on it are as follows: 1x 24-pin ATX, 2x 8-pin +12v, 6x legacy 4-pin (molex), and 1x I2C (no idea what this is...
  2. J

Super micro cse846 front panel connector, need help!

I'm not sure exactly how to connect it. If I try to line up the ribbon so that the 16 slots line up with the back 16 pins, the plastic head seems to catch on the front 2 pins on the board. I thought maybe the gap between the first set of pins and the third set was so the ribbon style connector...
  3. J

Super micro cse846 front panel connector, need help!

Ok, so I have a SM 846 case that has a ribbon connector from the front panel. It is a 16 pin ribbon. My board is a super micro x11ssm-f. The jf1 header on it has 18 pins, with a gap between the first set and the third. I know there is an adapter I can get from supermicro, but I'm having a hell...
  4. J

Supermicro Backplane BPN-SAS2-846EL1 Fan Control

That is kind of neat. I'd like to see the melting/combustion point of that foam though. Id be worried if it tipped over, or if a small bit from a cut area got in somewhere it shouldn't and caused problems. Unfortunately, I don't think this will work in my situation. He's using the 847 which must...
  5. J

Supermicro Backplane BPN-SAS2-846EL1 Fan Control

When you say you had it manufactured, did you have somebody make this for you? I don't have a way to get all the specs with precision currently to have this fabricated. If there is some way you could point me in the right direction to have another one of these made I would really appreciate it...
  6. J

Supermicro 846 model questions

I realize it's overkill, but those are the PSU's that come with this unit. I would prefer the 920p-sq's, but that wasn't an option.
  7. J

One more question about this model PSU. The unit I am looking at comes with 2 of the PWS-1K28P-SQ, but no power cord/plug. Is there any particular one I should look for online, or does it matter at all?
  8. J

It will eventually be full of drives, but to start will only have about 12-15 (6-12TB WD shucked). It's not running much in terms of hardware as it is my Unraid/Media server. I will have a Mellanox 10GBe NIC, Quadro P2000 for transcodes only, and a LSI 9211-8i HBA. As for the rest of the...
  9. J

I have been looking to convert my tower server into a rackmount for a while now, and have settled on the Supermicro cse-846. Most of my research led me to the models (or to buy aftermarket) with the PWS-920P-SQ power supplies in an effort to quiet this beast down. I have found one for sale...
  10. J

FS:Supermicro 846 4u chassis

I'm interested in this. Does the price include shipping? Do you have any pics to upload?
  11. J

Adding Cat6 to old home

I have spent the last several days googling tips on how to install ethernet cabling in a home. Unfortunately, most of the information I am able to find is all on fresh installs in new construction. My home is over 100 years old, and ripping open the walls is not really an option. Luckily, I am...
  12. J

Patch panel to wall jacks?

I had actually considered this option, seperating the network components from the server components and wall mounting them. The only problem I ran into with this idea is that I wanted to have a seperate UPS for the switches and router as I will be using a rather beefy POE switch for cameras. Of...
  13. J

Patch panel to wall jacks?

I am in the process of wiring my home with cat6 cable. My server and all network equipment will be contained in a small closet located under the stairs of a 2 story house. The closet is very small, approximately 3' wide x 4' deep. Because of this, I will have very little room to work on anything...