Recent content by jbrukardt

1. J

Can you mix SAS and SATA drives in the same RAID6 Array?

Good news! unlike the dells, it looks like you can in fact do this. Got this reply from Areca support super quick. Dear Sir/Madam, sure, it is supported. Best Regards, Kevin Wang
  2. J

Can you mix SAS and SATA drives in the same RAID6 Array?

Controller is an Areca 1883ix,-24 no sas expanders, connected to a norco 4220 passive backplane chassis. Current array is a 16x 4TB sata raid6, but im starting to lose some drives, and the SAS drives are just so much cheaper.
  3. J

FS: Supermicro 5in3 Hot Swap Cage $50

its confirmed to be the below, backplane matches: Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Products | Accessories | Mobile Rack | CSE-M35T-1B It looks to be a completely passive backplane, so i dont see why it wouldnt support SATA3 harddrives. The pin interface is the same as sata1
  4. J

Cant find a model №, here's a bunch of pics. Imgur
  5. J

Ill confirm when i get home, but im fairly certain its the Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Products | Accessories | Mobile Rack | CSE-M35T-1B It may be the SAS variant though, ill check.
  6. J

Been in rackmount gear for years, found this in storage and have no need for it. Has a nice San Ace fan on it and works well. Imgur 50 bucks + actual shipping. heatware: jbrukardt
  7. J

FS: Lab parts - Quanta 2011v3 2U barebones, X9DRW-ITPF+, more

the X9DRW-ITPF+ are a custom form factor right? Wont fit in eATX or anything like it?
  8. J

Should i move away from my Areca 1280ML?

Those speeds are a valuable data point. There is almost no data after 2011 on the internet about raid6 mdraid benchmarks. If i can get upwards of 800/700 ill be happy, usually with 7+ disks
  9. J

Aruba MAS series SFP+ & POE+ switches sub-$100

These looks like really solid upgrades for all of us running old Nortel/Avaya POE switches. Im generally happy with my current ones, but POE+ is a nice upgrade.
  10. J

I can do a dual system, or at least a dual array in one system for dev vs production. Plenty of spare hardware to do this one. I have another areca i can operate in passthrough to act as an HBA if needed. I havent checked lately, but softraid parity used to be terribly inefficient, like...
  11. J

Not tied to an os or filesystem. The box is primarily a file server, encoder, and NVR. Anything that needs to be windows can be run on a VM or docker instance. Right now it's ntfs cause it was when I started the array with 4 drives 7 ish years ago
  12. J

I have an Areca 1280ML with 16 attached drives (4tb's right now). Its operating in RAID6 mode, with NTFS on top of them, but unfortunately the drives are starting to age and its time for me to swap them out for 8s. This would be the ideal time to change controllers and or filesystems. To...
  13. J

$59 shipped: Avaya 5698-TFD-PWR 96 port gigabit, POE, 2x XFP

this specific one included the TWO additional 1000W power supplies too in order support POE on all ports at maximum capacity
  14. J

$59 shipped: Avaya 5698-TFD-PWR 96 port gigabit, POE, 2x XFP

Nortel 5698TFD-PWR AL1001A11-E5 PoE 96 Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch Dual PSU 56097068812 | eBay Saw this, and as much as i want this monster, i really dont have any need for 96 ports in one switch... Its a very capable level 3 switch. I have a slightly older variant in the 4548gt-PWR and i...